You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-7-2015 18:26:34  #1

URGENT wedding in 5 days! Need to fix Good Companion 4!!

Hi,

I'm a newbie so apologies for starting with a begging post but I need your help!

My wedding is in 5 days!!

I have a Good Companion 4 with a broken draw band, which I have to repair by the 8th of July, because it's my wedding guest book (guests type messages to the bride and groom instead of signing a book).

I've done the usual research, checked and de-gunked the main spring and attached fishing line to replace the original draw band string.

Here's the problem:
No matter how many articles, photos, descriptions and diagrams I study, I CANNOT work out where to thread the fishing line and how to attach it to the other end. I know it goes in a straight line, but i can't work out how it goes round the little pulley wheel and where it goes after that.

I feel like a complete dunce, but I'm at a loss.

Pleeeeease can you clever lot explain to a complete (and slightly stupid) novice what to do? I've looked at every link I can find. I need step-by-step idiot-proof instructions.

Thank you!!

03-7-2015 18:27:52  #2

Re: URGENT wedding in 5 days! Need to fix Good Companion 4!!

Well, one end goes inside of a little hole that should be on the side of the mainspring. As for attachining it, would you mind posting a photo? (I think you have to post 4 or more times to do so)

Good thing is that it should only take a half hour or so at the most to repair.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

03-7-2015 19:09:49  #3

I've attached it to the main spring via the little hole (after de-gunking it like a particularly satisfying spot). I'll see if I can upload some pics.

Last edited by vintagevixen (03-7-2015 19:10:18)

03-7-2015 19:28:13  #4

Ok I've taken pics, I'll try to upload them.

03-7-2015 19:29:38  #5

Hmmm. It's not giving me the option thus far.

03-7-2015 20:13:37  #6

You have to uplold pics to an outside photo sharing place (I like imgur) and then copy the 'bb code' or 'bb link'.

03-7-2015 20:57:50  #7

Thanks, but would you mind explaining that in English lol - I haven't a clue what you said! X

03-7-2015 21:29:55  #8

Oh, sorry, lol.  I think Uwe  has a thread explaining how to do it.  I'll try to find it. 

The way I do it is I made an account on a site called imgur.  It's free and was pretty easy. The. You upload your picture(s) there, following the upload instructions.  It then gives you an option to copy a link for various types of places you might be wanting to post.  BB Code is the one to choose for this board (I think it means bulletin board code).  Once you've copied the code, you just paste it in your message here and the picture will show.

Other sites work in similar ways. I used to use Photobucket, but it's interface became clunky and it was too hard to resize photos.

I'll go look for Uwe's instructions...

Last edited by Spazmelda (03-7-2015 21:35:14)

03-7-2015 21:32:19  #9

Here is a link to Uwe's explanation: http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=24#p24

03-7-2015 22:31:22  #10

Right. See if this works.

Last edited by Uwe (04-7-2015 09:02:39)

Board footera