You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-8-2015 11:40:54  #1

SM3 carriage scraping

The carriage on my SM3 is scraping quite annoyingly on the return, & it's apparently getting a bit worse. It doesn't scrape in upper case, so it looks like an alignment issue.

I've had a look and there are any number of little screws and so on that it could be caused by, but without messing about in a random fashion there seems little way of telling. I don't want to wreck this machine! Can anyone offer some advice? I'd really appreciate it.

01-8-2015 15:51:23  #2

Re: SM3 carriage scraping

I had this exact same problem on my SM-4 and it seems to be a common problem with these Olympias. The point of wear is right here on the main body:

You can see where the carriage was scraping on the case of the machine. The problem is that the rubber washers that were used to boost the machine up in its case has worn away and has been reduced near to nothing. They are located right here:

I used cork as a replacement washer and just punched a hole right through it. There's another piece of cork on the other side where a rubber washer used to be. The typewriter is held on to the main case by four screws like the one there. Just take off the back plate, unscrew the case from the typewriter, and remove. Then just put some new washers in and you're good to go. It's mildly annoying especially from a typewriter as great as this one, but it's (thankfully!) an easy fix. 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

01-8-2015 18:37:43  #3

You're not a fully-fledged member  until you've had, and fixed, an SM low carriage:
http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=132

Last edited by beak (02-8-2015 07:15:20)

Sincerely,
beak.

01-8-2015 19:30:12  #4

Don't keep moving the carriage until you fix this! This is a well-known problem with an easy fix. There are four rubber washers fitted between the shell and the frame (very accessible) and these have deteriorated and flattened over time so they let the mechanicals sit lower in the shell. Get replacements (like simple faucet washers) from your hardware store, loosen but don't remove all four screws and then remove and replace the washers one at a time (so it is easy to keep the screw holes in line). I'm afraid I don't remember the thickness for the washers; maybe you can judge that from the remains, or get a variety of thicklnesses, or search the web for something like "Olympia SM carriage scrape". In the end it costs about a dollar and six minutes. Thanks for preserving another Olympia!    

01-8-2015 20:02:40  #5

I've had to do this for my Hermes, but just one one side due to a bent frame I think, and I just picked up an $8 Olivetti Underwood 21 at a flea market today that I think has the same problem.  I have to wait until next week to dig into it though.

01-8-2015 23:36:44  #6

Here's a blog post that may be helpful - the author used "Bibb washers" from the plumbing aisle of the hardware store:
http://clickthing.blogspot.com/2011/03/amazing-floating-olympia.html

02-8-2015 05:12:44  #7

Thanks guys! got it. Been there, done it. Ztyper, I love your ingeniuity with the cork. Mine turned out to be even easier, as when I got the machine upside down to have a look (and I did know it was going to be something this simple, which is why I resisted trying to 'figure it out'), some clever soul had apparently already tried to do the fix, and there were four spandy-new washers down there - sitting OUTSIDE the body! The original ones were squashed flat inside, having been extra-compressed evidently by the new ones. Prised them loose with a screwdriver and swapped the others around. While laughing just a little.

Many thanks all! Happy now

02-8-2015 06:09:49  #8

Lol, crazy.  I can imagine the person who did it, "Everyone lied! That just made it worse!!!"

02-8-2015 10:30:02  #9

Don't know why they would think washers outside the body would help, but at least it's fi now. 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

02-8-2015 15:02:48  #10

Spazmelda, lol.

Board footera