You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-9-2015 13:42:27  #1

WTB - Hermes 3000 Cursive/Script or Other Manual/Portable Same Font

I was originally looking for an SM3, but after I noticed the Hermes cursive font with its dropped C and E, and some numerals, I realized that I really liked the font / typeface of the Hermes.  

I've noticed a few other branded machines with a similar cursive, such as a Smith Corona and an Olivetti, but not sure if those are as nice (looks and functionality.)  

I'll be using this just for occasional cards and letters.  No heavy usage.  

If anyone knows of anything I could take a look at anywhere in the Agoura/Ventura, CA area, that would be great.  These sure do command a high price online, so just trying to find it would be any better locally.  And if anyone has any advice on the three mentioned above, please let me know!

Last edited by tothetrail (02-9-2015 14:05:23)

02-9-2015 13:51:35  #2

Re: WTB - Hermes 3000 Cursive/Script or Other Manual/Portable Same Font

Another machine you might be interested in for cursive is the Adler tippa. Often sellers don't notice or realise they have something different, and peering at pics of typeslugs can pay off.  The one I have has a dropped C and E like the Hermes, and is almost the same, though there are subtle differences and I think the Hermes is more elegant. However you might find an Adler Tippa for a fraction of the price of a Hermes, Smith Corona or Olivetti. Personally I love the Tippa, the carriage return is super smooth. Good luck with your hunt for cursive!

Last edited by malole (02-9-2015 13:52:37)

02-9-2015 14:04:51  #3

Good ideas, thanks!

02-9-2015 14:34:30  #4

tothetrail wrote:

I was originally looking for an SM3, but after I noticed the Hermes cursive font with its dropped C and E, and some numerals, I realized that I really liked the font / typeface of the Hermes. 

It's worth keeping in mind that Olympia produced a few "Script" typefaces that differed from one another, so you may still be able to get what you like better with an SM3. And considering the hype around the first generation Hermes 3000 model, the SM3 will probably be far less expensive. Given the choice, I'd go for a SM3 over a 3000 every time.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-9-2015 15:43:06  #5

If you're looking for a cheap typewriter out by LA, I might reccomend going to the flea market in Pasadena that's on the second Sunday of every month. It's a bit of a hike from your area, about an 45 minutes to an hour, but I found a script Olympia SM-9 there for only $20. If I remeber correctly, there were some other script typewriters over there, (specifically an Olivetti Studio 44) so it might be worth it just to check it out. 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

02-9-2015 16:00:10  #6

Uwe wrote:

tothetrail wrote:

It's worth keeping in mind that Olympia produced a few "Script" typefaces that differed from one another, so you may still be able to get what you like better with an SM3. And considering the hype around the first generation Hermes 3000 model, the SM3 will probably be far less expensive. Given the choice, I'd go for a SM3 over a 3000 every time.

Oh, I didn't realize that, thank you!

02-9-2015 16:01:21  #7

ztyper wrote:

If you're looking for a cheap typewriter out by LA, I might reccomend going to the flea market in Pasadena that's on the second Sunday of every month. It's a bit of a hike from your area, about an 45 minutes to an hour, but I found a script Olympia SM-9 there for only $20. If I remeber correctly, there were some other script typewriters over there, (specifically an Olivetti Studio 44) so it might be worth it just to check it out. 

Exactly the info I was hoping to find, thanks!  I'll definitely check it out.

25-9-2015 13:08:37  #8

i have a Hermes Rocket (script typeface) that I would consider selling if you are interested.  i can email you photos if you'd like.  it was just professionally serviced in August and is in beautiful condition. i'm in Los Angeles.

29-9-2015 00:32:38  #9

Typewriterlv wrote:

i have a Hermes Rocket (script typeface) that I would consider selling if you are interested.  i can email you photos if you'd like.  it was just professionally serviced in August and is in beautiful condition. i'm in Los Angeles.

Thanks for replying.  I just picked up my "new" typewriter.  

As Uwe noted, I was able to find the exact script I was looking for in an SM3.  It is a one-owner machine, and she just used it in the household.  I love it and am looking forward to putting it to use.  

Thanks everyone for your help.  

29-9-2015 00:50:05  #10

Congrats on the new machine! I have an Olympia SM 3, an SM4 in the #75 script and an SM7 in the #69 script and they all type beautifully. I really enjoy the Olympia machines.

Last edited by Typewriterlv (29-9-2015 00:51:51)

Board footera