You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-3-2013 11:35:12  #1

My Valentine

As a typewriter collection grows, it's inevitable that even the most fervent collector will become a very selective buyer; after all, typewriter collecting might be a reasonably inexpensive hobby, but its demands on space will ultimately be the biggest challenge to the number of machines you will own.

Despite my modestly sized collection of around 20 typers, I've already hit that wall. I will certainly add a few more, but they have to be exceptional machines, exotic animals in an otherwise nondescript zoo.

One typewriter that remains on my short list is the Olivetti Valentine. I've always been intrigued by its cleverly sculpted design that not only reflects the space age that it was born in, but also allowed function to dictate part of its form (the back of the machine is a part of its carrying case).

Others, and not just typewriter collectors, seem to agree that it is an iconic portable that is worth owning. The above average selling price that a Valentine commands would indicates that it's a highly desirable machine.

But does the Valentine deserve this hype as a must buy, or have I just been blinded by its bright red paint like a bull madly chasing a cape? If you could buy only a few more typewriters, would it be on your short list? 

As beautiful a typewriter as I think it is, I do wonder about its performance. Maybe a Valentine owner could chime in here and dispel my fears that its all-plastic shrouding and minimal front support would give it flimsy feel. I regularly use all of my machines, they're all workhorses for writing, but would using a Valentine in such a roll be the equivalant of placing a plough horse's yoke on a fashion model?

For those of you who aren't familiar with this uniquely shaped typewriter, Guy Pérard has a nice page about the Valentine as part of his website and includes links to other Valentine lovers on the web.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-3-2013 15:44:32  #2

Re: My Valentine

One of these is also on my must have list and they crop up fairly often on eBay in the UK, but the cheapest I've seen was £150.

16-3-2013 15:56:34  #3

Stevetype33 wrote:

One of these is also on my must have list and they crop up fairly often on eBay in the UK, but the cheapest I've seen was £150.

I must be a real tightwad. Considering that I've never spent over $80 for a typewriter, a $220 Valentine seems like a real premium, and it's the reason why I haven't bought one yet. I may never find one in my modest price range. So the question really is, are they worth the price that they're selling for?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-3-2013 18:57:42  #4

Like anything, I suppose it's worth whatever you want to pay. All I know is that I want one.

There are three 70s typewriters that I've set my sights on: the Valentine, the Smith Corona Ghia GT and the Olympia Traveller Deluxe S. I have the last two, now I just need to find a Valentine in a dusty corner of a charity shop...

16-3-2013 19:58:48  #5

Stevetype33 wrote:

I just need to find a Valentine in a dusty corner of a charity shop...

That's what I've been holding out for too.  

Inevitably though whenever I make an unexpected find it's a run of the mill model or one I already own. 

21-3-2013 16:26:48  #6

I found my Valentine in a thrift shop in Barcelona for 12,50 euro. :D
I am not a regular typer, but people who do are not too fond about the Valentine.

21-3-2013 19:21:14  #7

Frank wrote:

I found my Valentine in a thrift shop in Barcelona for 12,50 euro. :D
I am not a regular typer, but people who do are not too fond about the Valentine.

Oh sure, rub it in.  Hey, anytime you want to double your money...

I wouldn't have minded paying a small premium for the Valentine's unique design, but to read that its typing performance is mediocre reinforces my conviction to hold out for a bargain.

21-3-2013 20:16:04  #8

Maybe I'm silly, I never understood the appeal of the Valentine. I can understand other styles of Olivettis, but not this one. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

21-3-2013 20:46:11  #9

Shangas wrote:

Maybe I'm silly, I never understood the appeal of the Valentine. I can understand other styles of Olivettis, but not this one. 

I wouldn't call it silly. The Valentine is just one of those love-it or hate-it designs, but regardless of which side of the fence you're on, it certainly is a unique typewriter.

22-3-2013 14:00:50  #10

I bought a Lexikon 80 this week (it's on its way now). Very common, but I still think it's a nice design. What makes this one extra nice is the color: orange. Haven't seen that before. You?

Board footera