You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-9-2015 14:59:37  #1

Future developments in mechanical typewriter design: likely to happen?

Having recently received an old typewriter as a gift (because previous owner wasn't using it), and being a professional programmer and computer enthusiast, I could not help being "bitten" by the nostalgic bug of those machines.

Reading a lot on the topic, some observations can be made:
- Advanced electric or electronic models tend do be considered actually obsolete, but not so the mechanicals. Some argue they will never become obsolete (and I agree with that);
- Young people started to look for typewriters to actually use them, and it is like that even (or mostly) with people who are quite proficient with computers. That is - I think - they can see the mechanical typewriter is a different object, not just a bad/primitive computer (or something that tries to hard to be a computer, like the electronic ones);
- Some design documents and blueprints of typewriter models are available, and the machines lend themselves to reverse engineering, so a lot of very clever mechanical solution principles could be used as a design platform to grow upon, right away. Also, today it is much easier to form a community and share knowledge;
- Mechanical typewriters have a long list of quirks and drawbacks. One can learn to live with them, for sure, by studying proper technique and making adjustments, or adapting herself to the machine, but the machines are far from fool-proof;
- Manufacturing of new models has shrunk almost completely, and those still in production are not of stellar quality due to cost relative to demand and target markets;
- There is an ongoing revolution in manufacturing, which includes the Open movement, specially (in this case) open, CAD-based design, colaborative design, open-sourcing in general, and FabLab production (with 3D printing, laser- and water-cutting, etc.)

So my question is:

> Do you think there is enough social and technological context for the Typewriter Revival to get enough momentum and end up ressurecting not only of machines that are being used, but also of machines that are being manufactured, and designs that are being improved, somewhat like "brought back to life"?

I suppose this will always be a niche market, but the Long Tail theory tells us that even small niches can be enough to support the needed efforts.

Also, for the 21st century, most probably the actual requirements and design milestones would be updated, since a lot of original use cases for the typewriter are now much better served by computers/printers, and that could balance design decisions for portable mechanical machines to a whole new direction, with possibly quite different quality, weight, durability and price levels compared to machines produced more than fifty or sixty years ago.

So, what do you think?

Last edited by heltonbiker (09-9-2015 15:02:55)

09-9-2015 19:35:40  #2

Re: Future developments in mechanical typewriter design: likely to happen?

Though, as you say, interesting and possible, I cannot imagine the reality because I see no market at all.  I don't think I've ever paid more than about $200 for any machine, often far less, and I have some of the best in the world and in full working order.  So where can a newly-made machine find a place in my buying routine when it must surely cost far more?
I think too that this mythical new machine would have a great deal of difficulty standing credibly against the great names of the past such as Olympia, Royal, Alpina and so on.  I think that I would regard it as necessarily inferior (whether it proved to be so or not) because manufacturing has lost its credibility, being seen (by me at least) as the business of turning oil into plastic tat that can hardly do its job when new and that will be land-fill in a year or two.  How I would love to be proved wrong about that, however.

Sincerely,
beak.

10-9-2015 12:02:16  #3

I use a typewriter daily and have to disagree with the statement "Mechanical typewriters have a long list of quirks and drawbacks." Your premise that there might be a future for new mechanical models is - I assume - based on those quirks being eliminated. But what exactly are they? And what would the new and improved mechanical machine have that existing models don't? It seems a little presumptuous to assume that someone building machines from scratch - reverse engineered or not - can build a better wheel when many of the companies that used to manufacture typewriters did so for the better part of a century.

Would there be a market for a newly manufactured model? I don't think so. There are millions of used machines still available on the market, and unless the new model was remarkably better and comparably priced ($50-$150), I don't know who or why anyone would want to buy one.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-9-2015 13:34:58  #4

Uwe wrote:

Your premise that there might be a future for new mechanical models is - I assume - based on those quirks being eliminated. But what exactly are they?

Thanks for your considerations. I recognize that "long list of quirks and drawbacks" is a bit rude on all the collective effort needed to arrive at the current state of the art, found among the best models available. On the other hand, it would be, in my opinion, also unconsiderate, from a mechanical design point of view, to consider all this once ongoing effort as stale, to consider current designs perfect, and to "give up" on future improvements.

I imagine that the previous level of mass-production, popularity and high demand of typewriters is gone forever, and so this design/manufacture revival would not be possible along the same lines. It would have to be developed as an enthusiast, higher-price, craftsmanship-oriented, niche-market level, I think.

As for the quirks and drawbacks (I don't want to start a holy war in any way, just sharing some thoughts):
 - Lots of typewriters are sentive to table vibration and tend to skip if, for example, you use them over the lap. My Studio 44 would run the spacebar multiple times if I do so, due to some sort of resonance.
 - Ghosting/Shadowing avoidance depends on proper typing technique. Some modification on the escapement mechanism could make physically impossible for the carriage to move when the slug is touching the paper.
 - Machines are not modular. Unlike, for example, vintage race cars, where you can "tune" performance by replacing carburetor, gearbox, suspension components, etc. for more performant ones (whatever "performant" might mean for a given owner), unfortunately there is no such thing with typewriters - but why not try to make them that way?

Before I start to get too speculative, I offer these three examples of things that might be improved, and reinforce the idea that I wasn't meaning "revival" as a mass-production, wide-market oriented thing, but instead of an enthusiast, price-is-not-a-(big)-problem, craftsman-oriented thing.

11-9-2015 07:26:55  #5

The only possible market for new typewriters that I can see is government agencies that don't trust sending things electronically and don't trust computers because of a perceived threat of hackers.

Such a paranoid agency could just buy old typewriters but such super paranoid people mighr think it is somehow possible, with today's computing power,to analyse the sound of typing be able to read what was being typed.

If this paranoid agency made their own typewriters it would be much more difficult for someone to listen in by tuning their listening device to the particular typewriter.

Having said that, I am in no hurry to invest in the nrw typewriter production market.

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

11-9-2015 11:17:38  #6

heltonbiker wrote:

As for the quirks and drawbacks - Lots of typewriters are sentive to table vibration and tend to skip if, for example, you use them over the lap. My Studio 44 would run the spacebar multiple times if I do so, due to some sort of resonance.

Lots? That definitely is not true. Typically, if a typewriter "skips" it requires servicing (or it could also be caused by poor technique), but a vibration issue would mean that you're not using a proper typing surface - and why would anyone do that? I own very few machines that "skip", and even then it's only because I haven't got around to cleaning or adjusting them yet. The vast majority of my machines never exhibit this "quirk" that you describe, which I don't consder to be a quirk in the first place.

As for using a typewriter on your lap, they weren't designed for that. You can use some portables in such a manner providing they either have a bottom plate protecting its internal mechanisms, or a travel case base that can be typed from, but since typewriters should be used on a level surface, a lap is a less than ideal working surface.

heltonbiker wrote:

- Ghosting/Shadowing avoidance depends on proper typing technique.

Shadow characters can also be a sign of a machine that requires service, or even an incorrectly installed ribbon, something that I have seen far too often. But is this really a quirk of the machine? Most machines that we buy and use require a proper technique for them to function correctly. Would you drive a car with your left foot resting on the brake pedal all the time and then call it a quirk of the car's design because it burns through brake pads and rotors at an alarming rate?

heltonbiker wrote:

- Machines are not modular... unfortunately there is no such thing with typewriters - but why not try to make them that way? 

Actually, some machines were modular. There were several models of the Imperial standard that allowed an owner to swap major component groups, and many standards had quick detach carriages, which mean you could switch your 12" carriage for a 35" one in less than a minute. However, given those types of model were in the minority, I have to assume there wasn't a great demand for such a feature. And this leads me to wonder why anyone would even want a modular typewriter, other than perhaps to make cleaning and servicing it slightly easier? Equating the need to the performance tuning of race cars makes no sense to me at all.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-9-2015 21:34:15  #7

Here's my input on the matter:

I love the idea of a future of mechanical typewriter development. However, in order for this to happen, it must be useable for everybody otherwise there just simply won't be a market. In theory, the typewriter as it stands today can be used by anybody without training, but even the most simple typewriters must require some instruction. If a person is not properly instructed to type properly, then shadowing, floating caps, and skipping characters will occur. I had to teach my girlfriend how to use her Smith-Corona Silent-Super because I was having a hard time even trying to read what she wrote on it. It was my fault in the first place because I gave her that typewriter and never taught her how to type. Granted some machines are easier to use without any background of the manual typewriter, but the truth is that nobody can use a typewriter without knowing something about it. A typewriter for out modern era must have a mechanism that no matter how badly the technique is, be able to print clearly and perfectly. People don't wan to feel like that they're stupid and don't know how to operate a simple machine such as a typewriter, even though they are when they don't use the long lever sticking out to return the carriage!! (I mean seriously, it's fustrating to watch when people use their hands and turn the knob instead of using the conveniently placed lever). I know that takes out the fun of having a unique touch of a typewriter, but that is the only way I can see the typewriter even having a larger market that has consumers ready to buy even if there are very few. And this is manual typewriters we're talking about, not electrics.

Anyways, that's my thoughts.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

12-9-2015 11:47:46  #8

I think a large part of being into typewriters (well for me anyway) is the fact that they are machines with a history, and there is a lot of fun to be had in searching out a certain kind of typwriter.
A brand new typewriter, made to a very high standard would be a nice thing to have, but I'm not sure it would have the appeal that a vintage machine has, and it would likely be too expensive for most of us to own.
As typewriters were made to last a lifetime, it's relatively easy to find a machine that is in good working order and will last us, used with care, for another lifetime.
There are still so many typewriters emerging from sheds, lofts, garages and well-tended desks of original owners, and collectors and second-hand dealers, that I can't imagine that there'd be a high enough demand for a new-built typewriter any time soon.
I don't fancy the idea of a typewriter that behaves like a computer in typing action - they are different machines and you can't really make one behave like the other.

12-9-2015 17:43:54  #9

To be honest, I don't like idea either. It sucks the fun out of using the typewriter all together...

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

12-9-2015 21:21:12  #10

Thanks, folks, for all your opinions.

One answer that striked something in me was the one saying there was no HURRY to invest on the brand-new typewriter market (by invest I think he meant either to buy or to manufacture them).

And that made me realize what others have been saying: the future demand for typewriters, as a niche thing, is by definition small, and most probably the rate of old but good machines being brought out of the barns and ravines and sunken ships could be more than enough (judging by the affordable prices) to supply this demand almost indefinitely, given how much time they can keep working without deteriorating.

We have to thank the fact that these machines have got a lot of time before the computer got popular, so that lots had to be manufacture to supply a (comercial, industrial) demand that would be much better served by computers if they existed. And now that they exist, the more domestic and personal demands, much smaller in scale, can be supplied worldwide by the relatively high amount of otherwise obsolete machines. It's a great century to live in! (I mean it somewhat sarcastically).

It's been a great talk, thanks for your ideas so far!

Board footera