You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-11-2015 20:43:26  #1

Lovecraft's Typewriter?

I posted here a little while back. I'm not a "Typewriter Guy," but I developed an interest in collecting duplicates of the typewriters used by the horror greats.

H.P. Lovecraft used the same typewriter his entire career, a Remington Standard No. 6. He bought it in 1906. There's some confusion as to whether he bought it used or new, a friend referred to it as "A refurbished 1906," but most people think he bought it new. Anyway, you can't let yourself think like that, so 1906 is the target year. Most people think that even if he bought it used, the typewriter itself was a 1906. Here's an article:

https://tentaclii.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/lovecrafts-typewriter/

After years of trying, I've managed to purchase a Remington Standard No. 6, with a serial number of 155580 that dates to 1906!!! Is it Lovecraft's typewriter? Well, chances are huge that it's not, but it COULD be.

If Lovecraft sent it in in 1935 to be refurbished, as claimed, and if he sent it to the Remington Co., there might be a serial number recorded.
Barring that, if a photocopy of one of Lovecraft's authenticated manuscripts (one he typed himself) could be obtained, forensic testing could identify a particular machine.

Robert E. Howard (Conan's creator) used an Underwood #5 (It's in a private collection, but there's controversy. It was always believed that Howard's typewriter was an 1926, but the one that's claimed to be his dates to 1928. Is his typewriter still out there??!! Howard also used the same machine his entire career.

Robert Bloch wrote Psycho, and many other of his greats on an Olympia SG1. It's in a private collection.

04-11-2015 21:13:34  #2

Re: Lovecraft's Typewriter?

I paid $187 for it, so totally well worth it to me. Here's some more pics:

04-11-2015 23:52:51  #3

Congratulations on your acquisition! I've got plenty of HP's works on my bookshelf. I would think that an original HP typescript should be relatively easy to track down -- bookloads of his letters have survived -- were they all handwritten? It's an interesting looking machine; is it working? BTW that's also an interesting looking photo montage on wall... What's that about I wonder?

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

05-11-2015 01:18:40  #4

The montage is made of hundreds of portraits from the 1800's. There are men, women, children, and some copies of artwork, all carefully cut out and pasted. The thing is huge and weighs a ton with homemade boards. My grandfather bought it from somewhere in the early 70"s. This isn't a very good photo, but you get the gist.

07-11-2015 19:12:21  #5

That is wonderful. The typewriter looks suitable for producing tales of eldritch horror. One of the Great Old Typewriters.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

08-11-2015 07:04:39  #6

You did good! Does it work?

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

08-11-2015 09:56:35  #7

I found this sheet in my 1916 Royal this morning. It must have happened when the mainspring unwound...

They may be Great Old Ones, but there is nothing supernatural about their typing skills.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

Board footera