You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-11-2015 17:45:02  #1

Forgive the Language

Hmm, I just thought I should mention here that I've got a book coming out in two weeks! December 1st, to be precise.

It feels like a different hat from the one I normally wear around here, but if any of you are interested in essays and/or 
poetry, you might like it. It's not at all academic or anything; originally it came out of my blog, and it's a massive mix of stuff, with offbeat angles on things, and definitely intended to be interesting even if you're not a writer... The thing that makes it topical here is that it finishes with a 5,000-word essay called 'My Life in Typewriters'. 

It's called Forgive the Language: Essays on [/url][url=http://www.pennedinthemargins.co.uk/index.php/2015/11/forgive-the-language-essays-on-poets-poetry/]Poets and Poetry, & it's published by the brilliant indie press Penned in the Margins. You can also see it on here. And indeed here.

Anyway. Thought I should mention it...

20-11-2015 18:51:24  #2

Re: Forgive the Language

I'll look out for it - though, what with the price of books (and cars!) in Australia, it will likely be on a ship from the US for 6 months before I read it.
  Why does it feel a 'weird' whenever coming across a book by someone you know, even a little?

Sincerely,
beak.

20-11-2015 21:22:51  #3

^ I know.... :/

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

20-11-2015 22:12:30  #4

Congratulations to you! I know this is literally judging a book by its cover, but that's a lovely cover design -- a top-notch production, obviously.

21-11-2015 13:19:38  #5

Beak, I know! It's always a huge relief if it's actually not rubbish! (& I believe the Book Depository ships anywhere in the world for free... but no pressure - it's mostly about poetry [though I do try to be entertaining]...)

And Fleetwing, thanks - I'm in love with it. It's so ME that my daughter thought I had designed it!! My only input was asking for it to be yellow, since apparently yellow books sell. We shall see.

21-11-2015 21:48:12  #6

You live surrounded by guinea pigs? And typewriters, of course! Excellent! 😀

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

22-11-2015 11:06:12  #7

KatLondon wrote:

Hmm, I just thought I should mention here that I've got a book coming out in two weeks! December 1st, to be precise... 

I pre-ordered on Amazon. In addition to receiving your book, it had the side benefit of bringing my order for assorted springs and grommets over the $35 minimum for free shipping!  I'm sure you will understand - it's parts for the typewriters, you know. 

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

23-11-2015 06:51:13  #8

Valiant, it only FEELS like I'm surrounded. There are only three of the guinea pigs, but of typewriters I can't bring myself even to find out the real number. It might begin with a 3, I'm not sure. I realise that's small cheese compared to a lot of people but this is a smallish flat... 

And Repartee, well THANK you, I live to serve. Congrats on the typewriter parts, and I only hope the book doesn't disappoint... ;) 

23-11-2015 20:11:35  #9

Kat, I'm in a one-bedroom apartment myself.... No guinea pigs to contend with but I did a quick count of typers this evening and I'm a bit concerned that, using your method of reckoning "the number begins with a 7"  . The parting will be difficult, but I hope to find new homes for many of these before Christmas!

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

24-11-2015 10:42:30  #10

Haha! Yeah, '7', I think I'd have some explaining to do. Even as it is, the delivery man arrived this morning while the other half was still here and he's like, 'What's that?' Fortunately it was a grey Groma Modell T of such epic beauty that all he could do was gaze in wonder, and then start a conversation about midcentury design. So it ended up being a conversation about me getting onto pitching some articles, and he loves the Groma. Phew!

Board footera