You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-12-2015 10:31:03  #1

World's sexiest smoker?

I caught the following image on Ryan Adney's Magic Margin typewriter blog:

Wow. Just wow. She looks beautiful and hard boiled - straight out of Raymond Chandler. Supposedly this is opera great Maria Callas, but more my idea of Phillip Marlowe's secretary.

Oh yeah - there is a typewriter also.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

12-12-2015 16:09:32  #2

Re: World's sexiest smoker?

That photo has been on every typewriter blog at one point I would think. And it's not Maria Callas, but rather Alice Denham, who was the July 1956 Playboy Playmate of the Month.

What I like most about the photo is not the woman in it, nor the Royal HH she's standing in front of, but how it proves misinformation is easily spread on the internet. I don't know how the myth of the internet being a reliable source of information started, maybe it had something to do with its early pioneers who actually did post legitimate and reliable content, but it's not the authoritative source of information that too many believe it to be. Clearly you weren't fooled - probably because you're older - but as crazy as it sounds there are a lot of people out there who believe if they read it on the internet it must be true.

More about Denham from Wikipedia (another unreliable source):
"Alice Denham (born January 21, 1933 in Jacksonville, Florida) was an American model, author, and former adjunct professor of English at City University of New York. She is the author of the novels Amo - The feminist centrefold from outer space (1974), and My Darling from the Lions (1968) and short story collection Secrets of San Miguel (2013) as well as the novelisations Adios, Sabata (1971) and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1968). She has also published a memoir, Sleeping with the Bad Boys (2006), about her time among the New York circle of writers in the fifties and sixties."

And more fun and games: According to most sources the woman is still very much alive, but not according to this typewriter blog that claims she died in 2000. Maybe its author only meant she was career dead? At least he didn't claim she was Maria Callas. 

Would the real Maria Callas please step forward?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-12-2015 20:12:11  #3

Uwe, as always, your posts are a wealth of information and insight, and could spawn novel length replies! I will, however try to restrain myself to essay length. If that much.

Regarding Maria Callas: I clearly was skeptical but I was by no means certain that could not be the singer: it seemed out of character for my admittedly shallow stock of mental tags attached to "Maria Callas" and it didn't really look like the photos I found of the unequivocally genuine Maria Callas, like the one you posted. But a thousand plausible explanations of these discrepancies could be invented based on my minimal starting data set - she looked different in profile, she was a stage performer and adept at changing her appearance, this was a posed shot taken as part of a gag roll by a photographer friend, it's a still from her little known foray into Film Noir... Also on the plus side, the woman in the photo is noticeably deep chested and plausibly an opera singer (I am referring to the size of her rib cage).

Regarding skepticism and fact checking in general, I don't think the seeming absence of this in the average human being is something limited to the internet. In real life I work in the security industry, and one thing experience pounds into my head again and again is the seemingly unalterable facility for people to give credence to almost anything they hear if said with conviction. Is there a suspicious person? One just saw him over by the entrance! Another saw him going into the subway! He asked "C" directions and seemed off! And etc. If you stop and speak with the witnesses and ask some more details and you may find the physical descriptions are completely different, or one of the sightings demanded virtual teleportation, and so forth. You may find several different people have been merged, but all seemed sure at the time that HE was seen in all places. I could multiply examples. Even with experience and preparation I am still taken in sometimes by confident assertion.

I would say skepticism and fact checking are not baseline human psychology. We tend to believe what we read and what we hear, and the internet is just a continuation of Rumor by other means. Not sure why we are wired this way. You would think more critical thinking would have survival value. But (speculating wildly), maybe on the hunt rapid exchange of information without a lot of cross examination (are you SURE that was the tiger you saw?) is an overall better strategy. People are eaten by tigers either way, but less often when they think and react quickly as a group, accepting a higher error rate, than when they stop for questioning and gain accuracy but lose speed. Our ancestors spent many more millennia hunting in groups then we have spent in civilization, and old habits die hard.

So that's my cracker barrel explanation of why the baseline human seems to believe everything they hear, and why critical thinking is an overlay. This is now completely off topic and not a typewriter in sight! As for Alice Denham - a centerfold AND an intellectual? I am smitten.

12-12-2015 21:15:07  #4

Either way, it's a great shot!
I first came across this picture when hunting for a shot of the Royal.  'Good heavens - that's Maria Callas.' my brain went.  This simply because the resemblance in profile is so striking.
But, rather than reinforcing this mistake, the web (this forum in fact) straighten me out.  The web is just people, not a force in itself.  And you know what to expect with people, right?

Sincerely,
beak.

12-12-2015 22:25:57  #5

Repartee, I have to acquiesce to your observations concerning human nature, which are of course absolutely correct. Beak's points are just as valid. The majority of us tend to take the easiest route regardless of the destination, and there's nothing easier than believing everything you're told, or in the case of the internet, everything that you read. I suppose that I became target fixated on the internet because it is such a front and center medium, an imminent fixture of our digital world with infinitely deep pockets and the power of a black hole. 

Where I will disagree with you is the question of this being off-topic to the discussion of typewriters. On more than one occasion I've read blogs by revered typewriter experts in which assumptions were made, sometimes nothing more than wild speculation in the form of an offhand comment, and observed how what they've written is absorbed by their faithful readers as if it was the product of hard research, as if they had been presented with absolute facts chiseled into stone tablets and carried down from Mount Olympia. Some of these readers - in particular those proficient in copy and paste techniques - will parrot the statements in their own blogs (and in forums too), disseminating and repeating these theories until they’ve become an unassailable truth. In such situations I blame the writer for not making it clear when they are simply guessing about something, and the reader for not applying the "critical thinking overlay," as you so eloquently put it. 

Okay, so maybe none of this has to do with intellectual Playboy bunnies, or sopranos belting out a cappella renditions of Leroy Anderson's The Typewriter, but I assure you that there is a typewriter in the room - somewhere.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-12-2015 00:37:23  #6

Well, I shall go to sleep and dream now of Alice Benham leaning down to look over my shoulder as I type, leaning very closely indeed as she reached around my neck with a pencil to make some point about my punctuation... 

Stop that, unconscious, stop that I tell you! 

13-12-2015 17:25:33  #7

Repartee wrote:

Well, I shall go to sleep and dream now of Alice Benham leaning down to look over my shoulder as I type, leaning very closely indeed as she reached around my neck with a pencil to make some point about my punctuation... 

Stop that, unconscious, stop that I tell you! 

...But not to disturb your dream, let's hope she doesn't drop a cigarette ash down your shirt!

~Joe

14-12-2015 13:29:39  #8

Back to the thread subject, I'd like to nominate a couple of others for inclusion in Repartee's sexy ash category. Bonus points to those who can name them.

14-12-2015 19:02:51  #9

Dietrich, Vivian Leigh, and...

14-12-2015 19:06:46  #10

I mean Vivien...

Board footera