You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-5-2013 11:57:31  #1

Help Please! I am in need of LC Smith Parts

I am in need of ribbon spool hold down screws for a 8/10 LC Smith. If you can help please contact me.
Thanks, Michael H.

"I am getting so far out one day I won't come back at all."

27-5-2013 13:52:54  #2

Re: Help Please! I am in need of LC Smith Parts

Michael,
Watch ebay and you might find those screws.  I did last year and bought them in case I come up with the No.5 L.C. Smith that I am searching for and it doesn't have the screws.  

Also, if you see a Smith that is in poor condition and the typer might get sold for the keys, write the seller to see if they will sell the parts you need.  Wish I already my No.5 so I could sell you the screws but I know they are often missing.

27-5-2013 19:28:53  #3

sonicboom wrote:

I am in need of ribbon spool hold down screws for a 8/10 LC Smith.

Are you talking about the chrome (actually, probably nickel plated) nuts that thread onto the spool posts? I'm willing to bet that they can be easily substituted with those that are used to hold the cover plates of lighting fixtures in place. I probably even have some in the garage somewhere. All I would need to know is the size of the bolt and the pitch of its thread.   

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-5-2013 19:41:45  #4

The thumbscrews that Michael is looking for is very different than what I think you are talking about Uwe.  The thread only goes part of the way down the screw shaft and it smaller and finer than the usual hold down thumbscrews used on glass shades where there are three around the circumference.  The head if larger diameter (3/8") and only very slightly domed on top.  The major thread diameter is a hair under 1/8".  The head is also stepped under the top knurled part.   I am assuming that all of the L.C. Smith models including ones later than the first decade use the same screw.  Perhaps not?

Steve

27-5-2013 19:50:02  #5

That's is correct Steve! Thanks for all the input. I was hoping someone would have a parts machine. I have several parts machines but none that have these thumb screws. 
Thanks again. Michael

Last edited by sonicboom (27-5-2013 19:50:46)

"I am getting so far out one day I won't come back at all."

27-5-2013 23:28:22  #6

Steve, could you post a few detailed photos of these nuts? I have a pretty good idea from your description how they function and I still think that a substitute of some kind would be readily available.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-5-2013 23:34:00  #7

sonicboom wrote:

I have several parts machines but none that have these thumb screws. 
Thanks again. Michael

The problem with parts machines is that they are usually missing the most common parts. 

Not long ago I had a look at a two Underwood Standards that a seller was trying to unload. He was completely unaware that both had been stripped of a number of essential parts and that neither could be used in their current condition. I pointed out all of the parts that were missing and explained how they were important to the function of the machine. He thought over what I'd said for a moment and asked me if I would buy them as parts machines for the Underwood Standards in my collection - for a $10 discount per machine. I declined as they would cost a lot more than what I paid for my functional Standards.

27-5-2013 23:43:50  #8

Uwe wrote:

Steve, could you post a few detailed photos of these nuts? I have a pretty good idea from your description how they function and I still think that a substitute of some kind would be readily available.

I'd happily post photos but how?  Photobucket ruined my album when they switched to the new format so I don't have a usable photo host.  Is there another way?  I really wish photos could be posted here directly.

28-5-2013 12:53:11  #9

Steve Stephens wrote:

I'd happily post photos but how?  Photobucket ruined my album when they switched to the new format so I don't have a usable photo host.  Is there another way?  I really wish photos could be posted here directly. 

Steve, there are plenty of other photo hosting websites that work as well as Photobucket. Didn't we list a number of them for you in another thread here? I really wish we could post photos directly here too, but it's a free service and sometimes you get what you pay for. 

28-5-2013 16:50:58  #10

Yes, I do remember some recommendations for photo hosting services.  Right now I have more to do than to pick one and, after the fiasco with Photobucket, I surely don't want to download my photos to a site that I may not be happy with.  I hope that I will get around to picking a host sooner than later but now is not the time.  If anyone wants to request a photo by email of the L.C. Smith ribbon spool thumbnuts I will be happy to send some photos.

Board footera