You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-12-2015 17:10:13  #1

Adding machine repairs

For Christmas this year, I got a Victor adding machine that needs quite a bit of work. It's pretty dirty to say the least. I figured that "since adding machines are like typewriters that do math, they must be pretty similar in repairs!" Well, my logic is skewed and an adding machine is nothing like a typewriter. I was just wondering, how much oil needs to be in the mechanisms? I know that typewriters can run pretty dry, only oil where it needs it. But the adding machine is so complicated, that I'm not sure if it needs no oil, some, or a lot. I just hope some one looks at this, because I have no idea what I'm doing...

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

26-12-2015 09:59:20  #2

Re: Adding machine repairs

Haha. Thats what I thought too....

DO NOT USE ANY OIL! I was looking inside of mine, there was no oil. So don't use oil!

Just blow out the dust. Adding machines are very fragile!

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

26-12-2015 11:22:07  #3

I read an essay by a retired typewriter repairman who worked in London but then lived in Australia (which I only mention in case it might help you to find the web page, since I cannot now) about how they gave typewriters baths: it was mainly solvent, small part of lubricant. Yes it's quick and dirty but since these were professionals at least you cannot say it was disastrous. Disadvantage would be a very light coating of oil on everything, which might trap dust faster, advantage of course is cleaning and lubrication in one quick operation. And I think our friend capillary action might help by getting more oil in the contact points then on surrounding areas: as the stuff dried the tiny crevices would tend to suck in the remaining solvent.

Sorry I cannot locate original.

As to whether adding machines are like typewriters or unlike typewriters I'm sure arguments could be made either way, but there are definitely going to be many points of similarity, including intricate mechanisms with bars and levers and pivots and bearings, oh my. I am sure excess oil would be a poor idea, but I'm not sure NO oil is the answer: this unidentified retired typewriter repairman mentioned that once they forgot to add oil to the solvent and they soon got a call from one of their customers that now her typewriter squeaked. But I do not think such heroic lengths would be necessary if there were only a few sticky linkages which could be addressed individually.

Speaking of baths, do you know they used to give entire steam locomotives lye baths when they were in the shop? At least the undercarriage. Imagine how dirty those mechanisms got!

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

29-12-2015 16:06:20  #4

Hmm... I think I'll just let it run dry for now. I'm more concerned about getting the dust and grime out of it. Might lightly oil the bits that see a lot of use.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

30-12-2015 23:47:26  #5

Hi Z

Sounds a bit like a project I want to get to later this year when things have warmed up. Way too cold to do any sort of typewriter or other mechanical servicing at the moment, low last night was -22ºC (-8ºF or 251ºK). The project I have is a 60 button Smith-Corona adding machine that doesn't add as all the mechanics inside are gummed up with dried oil. I have a 10 button Victor that I regularly use for tallying parts on work orders and when it's my turn to count the offering at church every 4th Sunday. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

31-12-2015 00:41:55  #6

One point about 'oil' - it comes in many different forms.  For something like this I would at least investigate the synthetic 'non-drying' forms such as Liquid Bearings.  I don't think you'll be happy with ordinary oils gumming up the works.

Sincerely,
beak.

31-12-2015 00:50:51  #7

skywatcher wrote:

Sounds a bit like a project I want to get to later this year when things have warmed up. Way too cold to do any sort of typewriter or other mechanical servicing at the moment, low last night was -22ºC (-8ºF or 251ºK). The project I have is a 60 button Smith-Corona adding machine that doesn't add as all the mechanics inside are gummed up with dried oil. I have a 10 button Victor that I regularly use for tallying parts on work orders and when it's my turn to count the offering at church every 4th Sunday.

Laughing out loud, skywatcher - it reached 72ºF (+22ºC or 295K)  on Christmas Eve in NYC, and I gather in the Praries of Alberta, it did not!  NYC sees -8ºF from time to time but everybody is moaning about it nonstop and the newscasters fill up their blather quota: in your neck of the woods I imagine "a mite chilly" covers it. Kelvin is a nice touch.

I love that you put your Victor to work - to me the best pleasure you can take in an old machine is that it still performs its original function.

By the way, ztyper, I've since seen the solvent/oil trick for typewriters mention in an Underwood #3-5 repair manual, though at that time the recommended solve was gasoline. Why use mineral spirits when you can use something even more liable to flash fires! Real typewriter men use gasoline. 

31-12-2015 01:29:20  #8

beak wrote:

One point about 'oil' - it comes in many different forms.  For something like this I would at least investigate the synthetic 'non-drying' forms such as Liquid Bearings.  I don't think you'll be happy with ordinary oils gumming up the works.

I've seen synthetic oils sold under this brand and others on eBay - buried under ad hype is a perfectly reasonable chemical explanation. Question is, what's actually in the bottle! Several brands on eBay and Amazon come in similar bottles with what look like labels created on home dot-matrix printers. Not branding which gives you confidence in a predictable product.

Had similar experience with "Dritz" sewing machine oil. At least looks like a professional produced and branded bottle, but what I received had leaked significantly inside the package - it's hard to believe OEM bottles of lubricant would not have proper seals for shipping. Might well be refills.

I'd want to find a product with a know pedigree and know effectiveness - after that, you could probably buy a gallon and split it with friends for a lifetime supply. But the answer seems like it would take more than a five minute web search.

31-12-2015 08:50:30  #9

Now here is a nice reasonable quantity of synthetic oil on Amazon US...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00COVG1C4?psc=1

That's only 1,059.99 USD for 55 gallons, free delivery! Before you dismiss this as naff, that comes to just over 1.20 USD for 4 oz. !  So you just have to get a supply of home brew bottles and could resell at a tidy profit. I would be surprised if that's not what the bottled-in-my-garage looking distributors were doing, except that you might count yourself lucky if you received this quality of product - at least it's synthetic :-/.
But sorry, beak - I believe free delivery of the 55 gallon drum is limited to the US. Perhaps when I syndicate my Super Ultra-slick Miracle Synthetic Typewriter Oil, I will ship internationally. 

31-12-2015 11:21:30  #10

skywatcher wrote:

... Why use mineral spirits when you can use something even more liable to flash fires! Real typewriter men use gasoline. 

Haha! And they smoke while they do it!

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

Board footera