You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-6-2013 07:16:52  #1

Puzzle typewriters

A thread for very unusual or puzzling machines.

Here's one that fooled me - the numbers are printed on the keys, but not the letters!  Anyone know why?

Last edited by beak (01-6-2013 07:17:24)

Sincerely,
beak.

02-6-2013 07:10:14  #2

Re: Puzzle typewriters

Unless it's been modified, it's probably a practice-typewriter. They were manufactured with blank keytops to teach people touchtyping. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

02-6-2013 08:14:31  #3

I imagined such a thing, but thought it would be easier just not look!  - and still have a normal TW.  Perhaps it was for strict examinations, so that you could not look.

Still, given all of this, why would the numbers etc still be there?

Last edited by beak (02-6-2013 08:15:55)

Sincerely,
beak.

02-6-2013 18:23:56  #4

Numbers aren't used as often. So knowing where they are without looking isn't really necessary. The piont of blank keyboards was to train you to remember where all the main keys were without seeing them. I've seen other typewriters like this (usually desktops, though) with the same setup. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

04-6-2013 08:52:54  #5

Although the numbers in the top row are usually in the same position (excepting some machines have "1" and some don't), the shifted (upper-case) characters are far from standard, from machine to machine. Since these characters are so variable, it is necessary to display them for the user.

Clark

Board footera