You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-12-2015 09:41:26  #1

Black and White Ribbons?

Anybody have experience with those? Does the white part actually "erase" the type? Im thinking of ordering a bath of new ribbons...

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

27-12-2015 10:19:17  #2

Re: Black and White Ribbons?

*batch

Back from a long break.

27-12-2015 10:25:52  #3

Yes, they do erase mistakes, but they start flaking after a short time and white gunk gets everywhere! I once had a QDL with one of these installed and believe me, they are not worth it! It took hours to get it all out.

27-12-2015 11:00:45  #4

TypewriterGuy wrote:

*batch

For a moment there, I thought you were considering getting enough to fill a bath!

JustAnotherGuy wrote:

Yes, they do erase mistakes, but they start flaking after a short time and white gunk gets everywhere!

Like JustAnotherGuy, I've only encountered one pre-installed on a typewriter, and like JustAnotherGuy, it flaked for me too. Nothing too dramatic, just brittle. An annoyance more than anything.

Strangely enough, the black part still had some ink in it. Given the price of a regular ribbon replacement, I can't see how any unusual ribbon would be worth the cost. The one I received with my Brother 700T was promptly replaced with a fresh, full-black ribbon - which only set me back about $7 (I can easily see that doubling for a black/white ribbon). I suppose I've grown accustomed to X-ing out my mistakes, so I don't really see the need.

Especially not for a bath full of them

27-12-2015 11:43:01  #5

My choice is the inexpensive external correction tape (generally 99 cents in a 99 cent store). Neat, covers completely, no spatter or flaking.

Even in an informal letter when the volume of x-outs and type-overs gets too large it just looks too sloppy for my taste.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

27-12-2015 11:45:52  #6

Ill just stick with the standard ribbons then, thanks for your inputs!

I wish I had a bath full of ribbons... AND typewriters

Maybe even a Sholes and Glidden..

Back from a long break.

27-12-2015 12:57:47  #7

JustAnotherGuy wrote:

Yes, they do erase mistakes, but they start flaking after a short time and white gunk gets everywhere! I once had a QDL with one of these installed and believe me, they are not worth it! It took hours to get it all out.

No, they do not erase mistakes; they cover them up with that white substance, which is like semi-solid Wite-Out. BTW, that white looks terrible on colored paper.

But, yes, they flake like hell and the flakes get everywhere in the works and they're kinda sticky and they hold dust and look bad. Yeah, please don't bother with those "correction ribbons".

27-12-2015 13:58:17  #8

The Royal Academy that I brought home from my parents' house the other day has one of these installed.  I haven't looked closely at the machine yet.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

27-12-2015 14:03:38  #9

I bought one and of the machines I tried it in, it only really worked well in one.  On the others the correction tape was just thick enough or had enough drag that it didn't go through the vibrator very well. The one it worked find in was a Remington Letter Riter.  It did not flake off, but it was fresh, so it may start to flake more as it gets older. 

27-12-2015 14:16:13  #10

Spazmelda wrote:

I bought one and of the machines I tried it in, it only really worked well in one.  On the others the correction tape was just thick enough or had enough drag that it didn't go through the vibrator very well. The one it worked find in was a Remington Letter Riter.  It did not flake off, but it was fresh, so it may start to flake more as it gets older. 

I agree with the mono-color ribbon preference. I assume the only reason red/black ribbons were so prevalent was for bookkeeping, but outside of that, just how much red are you likely to type? Yet the red is equal length with the black and necessarily entails a lot of unused ink. You will likely have more corrections than red thoughts, but similar objection applies. The only correction ribbons I think were worth their backing were the separate lift-off ones; in addition to a clean correction you would only use the ribbon at the rate you needed corrections.

Still prefer the external tape. If corrections are too easy it encourages sloppier typing. At least having to use something external motivates a little more care.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

Board footera