You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-12-2015 14:53:51  #1

Removing paper feed plate on Remington 5

I've removed the platen from my 1937 Remington 5 Streamline. I noticed that the feed rollers are flattened, and I'm trying to better access them. I have no idea how to remove the metal paper feed plate, pictured below. Anyone have any experience with this? 

Also, suggestions what to do with flattened feed rollers. At least two are cracked. 

EDIT: I'm new, so the Spam control wouldn't let me link to my pic on imgur. If you know Rem 5 Streamlines, it's the metal plate with "Remington 5" that holds the paper up, and then bends down and runs under the platen. The front has two metal clips (not tight clips, more like spacers) that hook over the front feed roller bars.

20-9-2017 14:25:41  #2

Re: Removing paper feed plate on Remington 5

Just posted this on another thread -

Just serviced my Remington Model 5 Portable using the bend-the-tab method. I serviced both rear and front roller sets and so I removed the platin along with the front ruler/paper guide (red on mine).

Rear: I serviced the two left most (when looking rear to front) by bending carefully the right most metal tab - enough to have the rod pass by. The rod is sufficiently flexible to be able to be pulled out to allow the left two rollers to be released. After replacing these two rollers now with new rubber I returned the rod to its original position and closed the tab. The right set of rollers were serviced by repeating the procedure bending the left most tab.

Front: These were the easiest. Here there are two rod sections - one for each roller pair. Position the carriage such that you can gain access to the rod mounting hole closest to the typewriters center. Use a small tool to lightly tap the rob outward. The outward end of each rod is knurled so a pair of pliers will suffice to pull out to service the rollers. Repeat for the other side.

My problem is that I might have used rubber tubing that made either front or rear set a touch to big because the paper still does not feed. Its entirely possible that the new feed rollers are fine and that the platin needs to be recovered.

rob

Board footera