You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-1-2016 16:08:33  #1

Workbench Thread

Show us your workbench for the repairing or restoration of your typewriters or related office machinery! Did you DIY it? Any special touches? Let's take a deeper look into the areas some of us probably spend way to much time in!

Here is an apartment-friendly bench I built for my living room..

06-1-2016 19:50:35  #2

Re: Workbench Thread

Nice vise for an apartment setup! With the addition of a 3 lb. hand sledge you'd be ready to fix just about any typewriter out there!

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

08-1-2016 07:12:04  #3

I have nothing so splendid by way of a machines workbench; my spare desk is used as and when.  But I think I have cracked the problem of small tool storage.  Not being able to stand rummaging about for things, I have some held on a magnetic kitchen knife rack, and others in a lump of wood with holes drilled at 45 degrees. - not elegant, but it keeps things within instant reach; just stretch out an arm and you have it.

Sincerely,
beak.

08-1-2016 07:18:51  #4

Oh - I should mention that some find the magnetic holder inconvenient since it tends to amgnetize the tools, but I find this helps hold on to small parts.  On the subject of magnets, a magnetized parts trays are an incredible boon when stripping down; nothing steel (screws etc) can then be lost on the floor.

Sincerely,
beak.

08-1-2016 07:20:26  #5

Jeez I miss the edit function!  I seem to be having bouts of overly-creative spelling this week.

Sincerely,
beak.

08-1-2016 21:29:07  #6

Here is my workbench with my current project, the 1940 Underwood Noiseless undergoing open-heart surgery.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

10-1-2016 20:21:18  #7

Here's my current workbench:

11-1-2016 03:13:37  #8

treefaller wrote:

Here is my workbench with my current project, the 1940 Underwood Noiseless undergoing open-heart surgery.

What a happy coincidence! I just bought the same model year machine in the Remington livery and it needs some kind of surgery, but I am hoping just ambulatory. Perhaps you can post some details of your experiences in the Maintenance and Repair forum so others may learn.

I had really visited this thread to note there is no need of posting photos of my "workbench", such as it is, as I have been shamelessly posting photos of new acquisitions with that backdrop without efforts at set dressing. It's not pretty.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

11-1-2016 03:20:46  #9

beak wrote:

Jeez I miss the edit function!  I seem to be having bouts of overly-creative spelling this week.

If you had not posted that I would have thought that "amgnetize" was a technical term I was not familiar with, and made a mental note to look it up.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

11-1-2016 06:01:04  #10

Heres mine... Notice the silly putty for cleaning type slugs towards the side...

And of course, that's taken on the second day.. Now its a lot more messy.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

Board footera