You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-1-2016 19:17:25  #1

Smith Premier #4 Restoration Progress

Hello everyone,
After almost a year, (Actually more like 8 months) I have come back to my Smith Premier 4...

I am in the process of re newing the platen, as its so dried out that it spins freely off the core (Which is wood painted black by the way). Im probably going to use heat shrink, as its quick. Right now, Im trying to get the shaft out of the core, and its GREASY so its hard to get out. Im letting some PB blaster sit on the shaft right now...

More updates + photos soon!

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

22-1-2016 20:03:53  #2

Re: Smith Premier #4 Restoration Progress

Good luck!

23-1-2016 15:44:54  #3

Of course, you can see where I have cleaned and not cleaned. You can see that I have cleaned a few type bars, and some of the felt. I have not cleaned the area below the keys yet...

Back from a long break.

23-1-2016 18:37:34  #4

Did you get the feed roller off of the carriage? I'm having a very hard time trying to get it off for some reason.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

23-1-2016 19:19:47  #5

No, me too! I am having a hard time getting the platen off too...

Back from a long break.

23-1-2016 19:25:42  #6

Ive unscrewed the screws on both ends, but that doesn't do anything. Im trying to get the platen off, but its just extremely hard.... Ive been at it with a hammer for a day. The rubber has dried and shrunk so much that it spins freely on the core. And the feed roller is just flattened and hard. Have you got the platen off?

Back from a long break.

23-1-2016 22:36:29  #7

I have, and it works like getting the platen off of a normal typewriter. Just undo a set screw, and the rod comes out, and the platen just lifts off. At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

24-1-2016 07:22:31  #8

I know that, but its like really hard to get out. I have  PB Blaster soaking right now.

Back from a long break.

24-1-2016 10:16:07  #9

Ive been cleaning uptake carriage, and so I figured Id take out the return lever and switch it with my other return lever (Which the nickel is in great shape) now. Im taking pictures right now.

Back from a long break.

24-1-2016 10:29:38  #10

Its soooo hypnotizing to watch the gears all turn when the mainspring unwinds. I had the take the mainspring apart, degrease everything, reattach everything, and now its spins so nice and smooth 0-o.
I removed the return lever assembly by pounding out the pin on the line spacer with a small phillips and a hammer, and when it was halfway out I got some pliers and twisted it out. Then, I twisted the line spacer a little, and it came off. You would not believe all the grease side the spring of the return lever!

Back from a long break.

Board footera