You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-3-2016 17:57:08  #1

My "new" toy--a 1955 Underwood 150

Recently, I bought a 1955 Underwood 150 standard typewriter from an antique shop in Robinson, Texas, for about $40.00.  I saw an early 1960s Remington standard I could have had for about $25.00, but places on the plastic case were broken off and the top was missing the plastic piece that holds it down to the rest of the typewriter.  I thought I'd go ahead and buy it anyway the next day, but the dealer told me a lady beat me to it.  Oh well, I still bought the Underwood.  It had all its parts but it was in fairly rough shape.  I bought it because I needed something to sharpen my repair skills.  Just about every key was stuck.  The ribbon was desert dry.  I had to steel wool off some rust here and there inside and out.  To unstick the keys, I first brushed in some tranny fluid (great lube oil for just about anything!!) and work each individual key until it moved freely.  I used two fingers to exercise each key--one on top and one on bottom.  I got about half way through the keyboard and my right finger (the one I was using on the bottom) started hurting.  I looked at the tip, and found I was cutting it on the sharp metal edges on the bottoms of the key links.  I didn't think there would be sharp edges on a typewriter that old, but you live and learn, I suppose.  I got through that exercise (using a small cloth to protect my wounded finger), adjusted the shifting (the capital letters lacked about 1/32" from being on the same line as the lower case letters), tightened the spring drum, put in a fresh ribbon, cleaned the typefaces,  and gave the rest of the machine a good cleaning, and I came out with a smoothly working typewriter.  That Remington typewriter, I was told, was going to be a conversation piece.  I bought the Underwood to help me calm my nerves (typewriter repair relaxes me).  Not sure if I want to sell this one or not because I have 2 1956 Underwood model 150 machines, a 1946 Rhythm Shift, a 1940 Master, and a 1959 Underwood Touchmaster II.  I'll at least play with it a while before I decide.  It's sure a  nice typewriter though!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

12-3-2016 18:46:03  #2

Re: My "new" toy--a 1955 Underwood 150

Is this the SX-150?  I have a big thread about mine somewhere in maintenance and repairs.  I call her Battleship Bertha. Apologies if this isn't the same machine.  Will you post a pic?

12-3-2016 18:47:32  #3

I had to go look at my spreadsheet, but mine is a '57.

13-3-2016 17:07:21  #4

Aaaaah!  You caught me.  I may be a typewriter know-it-all to an irritating degree, but computers are something I'm still new at.  When I do find out what you have to have and how to post pictures, I will surely post some of my "family" portraits.  I love sharing what I know and what I've learned, but I would also like to share pictures at least some of the typewriters I still have.  To answer your question , yes, it is an SX-150.  They made these from 1953 to 1957.  Yours is practically the same machine as mine, with a few refinements.  In fact, I have a late '56 which would be mechanically identical to yours (I had a '57 model once, but I gave it to a friend years ago).  I tried to find your machine in the indices, but I was unable to find it.  What was its ailment?  As for a name, I haven't decided yet, but it would have to be similar to the one you gave yours, because, let's face it, these machines are quite heavily armored and long lived.  The Underwood SX-150 is in my opinion one of Underwood's best typewriters.  We're lucky to each be in possession of at least one. 

13-3-2016 17:36:58  #5

Well, I will post my thread and you will see that I had a love/hate relationship with this thing, that kind of developed into a sort of Stockholm syndrome.   It had a lot of problems and still has the glob of rust on the bottom that I think I documented in the thread.  Luckily, it works great, despite the rust.  http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=978

To post pictures, I use imgur as a host.  Once you get a picture uploaded and click on it, some links show up on the side for things like 'direct link' etc... I copy and paste the one that says it's for bb's (bulletin boards) and paste it into the messages here.  It is a little clunky to do it this way (as opposed to having a bb that hosts pictures), but it works fine.  I used to use photobucket, but I think imgur is easier.

13-3-2016 18:49:42  #6

I think I do remember seeing that post, now that I think of it.  But I had to read it again to get more details.  What you have is a very early "Golden Touch" Underwood.  They made quite a few refinements in these.  The shifting is slightly different.  The ribbon mechanism is driven by, get this, the escapement wheel!!  This is the only make of typewriter I have seen this.  But it's been quite successful--the Underwood Touchmasteer series typewriters used it very well, along with the newer shifting mechanism.  Outside of that, they are nearly identical typewriters to the SX-150.  As for the rust, I have found that diet cola works pretty well (It has carbolic acid in it, so when you get a bit of rust out, rinse it off and dry it--especially in that area in the back where it looks like rust is caked.  I remember a 1956 Underwood that belonged to a friend of mine--I loved using it when I was a kid--it was my very first working Underwood typewriter.  That was 1981.  Fast forward to 2003, when I saw it again.  It was TEN TIMES RUSTIER than yours.  I must have spent at least six days and nights tearing it nearly down to the frame and replacing many of the parts with ones I was snatching out of a very early 1959 Underwood Golden Touch that was identical to yours.  I MEAN almost half a typewriter went into that '56 model--type bars, type bar segment slots, front and rear carriage rails, all the rollers, front and back, tab stop rack, tabulator clear and set module, spring drum, spring drum drawband, paper bail and rollers, ribbon dust covers, and other parts I can't remember.  When I got through, I had a foundry masterpiece.  I only charged my friend $25.00 for the whole thing, which was about how much I paid for the spare typewriter I melded in with his.  a few years later, he was concerned that when he died, no one would want his typewriter, so he gave it back to me.  I told him I would keep it and take care of it for him, which I did.  And then last October, he passed away.  I felt as though a torch had been passed.  I'm still keeping it for him and taking care of it.   

13-3-2016 18:55:21  #7

Oh, before I forget, thank you for the tip on Imagur.  But what I want to know is, what equipment do I need to buy to take the pictures.  Do I need a digital camera (I'll have to save a few weeks for one)?  I know a cell phone, like my old fliptop, is too clunky.  I'm too much of a Luddite to have one of those supergollgeewhizbangup I-whatever they're calling it this week.  Drop the things and the glass breaks and some even explode I hear.  I am NOT going to hold something that explodes up next to me head, I don't care how cool it looks.

13-3-2016 23:55:09  #8

I decided to start posting mine over in the Typewriter Database.  I can link to them from there.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

14-3-2016 04:30:26  #9

Haha, I guess you need to buy a camera then.  I usually use my iphone and then directly upload to imgur from there.  Sometimes I use my big SLR digital.  You can find cheap digital cameras for $60ish (nikon coolpix so1 or kodak pixpro, something like that).

I'm pretty sure my typewriter is an SX-150.  I was under the impression that 'Golden Touch' was a feature rather than a model. I can't find Golden Touch listed as a model in the database, and I know I've seen it on at least 3 definitely different models of machines.  There is an Underwood portable that is also often called 'Golden Touch'.

14-3-2016 14:33:05  #10

Spazmelda wrote:

I'm pretty sure my typewriter is an SX-150.  I was under the impression that 'Golden Touch' was a feature rather than a model. 

You are correct. You can use the Golden Touch name to refer to an era that the model was produced during, but it's not a model in itself. Many different Underwood models featured the Golden Touch marketing appliqué.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera