You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-3-2016 11:12:21  #1

Smith Corona Intrepid

While at an estate sale today, I bought a strange SC. A single element portable electric Intrepid that I never even knew existed until today. I knew Olivetti made something similar, but this is something entirely different. Here's what it looks like:

It barely works, as it can't type at all, but I'll see what I can do. Can anyone tell me more about it?

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

25-3-2016 14:49:18  #2

Re: Smith Corona Intrepid

Just a cursory glance at its carriage says it all: your typewriter is just an Olivetti Lexikon 83 in different clothing.

It's my understanding, and you would need to confirm this, SCM (Smith-Corona Marchant) bought the Olivetti design (some claim the factory that it was made in too) and began marketing their Vantage and Intrepid versions of the Lexikon 82 and 82. If you look at the Vantage model it is even more unmistakably an Olivetti design. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-3-2016 17:40:36  #3

That would clear up some of the weird controls, such as the paper release. I also checked the back, and it says that it was made in Scotland which is even more odd because I'm not sure if Olivetti made typewriters there or not. If not, then I would assume SCM bought some of the rights to the Olivetti design.

Seems odd that Olivetti would allow SCM to use their design, especially at the time the typewriter industry was taking its last few breaths. Guess we'll find out with time.

25-3-2016 18:27:10  #4

Olivetti did make typewriters in Scotland; my favorite Lettera 22 was made in the Glasgow factory. And there's nothing odd about one manufacturer licensing another to make their machines, although I don't think that's the case here. For example, Underwood sold Remington models at one point, some Empire machines were actually Hermes designs, and just about everyone - it seems - made their own version of the Patria portable. Even less unusual was the practice of one typewriter manufacturer buying out another and producing its machine as its own. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-3-2016 22:52:17  #5

I know that they would trade patents and licenses in the case of Underwood sell their own Noiselesses and the Empire (also the Montana) being just Hermes rebrandings. What struck me was the lateness of the deal. Maybe it's not that odd, and it's probably isn't. But interesting nonetheless. 

27-3-2016 00:16:51  #6

Lateness? Many of these companies are still around even if typewriters are no longer in the picture. For example, in 1979 Volkswagen (yes, the car manufacturer) effectively became the new owner of Triumph-Adler, and Royal. Seven years later Volkswagen sold its shares to Olivetti, and ownership of Royal was now in Italian hands. In 2004 Royal was once again an American company. Triumph-Adler, Royal and Olivetti are all still still in business.

27-3-2016 06:24:02  #7

Don't forget Smith Corona!

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

27-3-2016 20:26:28  #8

What I meant by lateness is that of the typewriter industry. I know Olivetti is still big in Italy, Smith-Corona makes thermal labels, not sure what T-A is doing, and Royal is located just a few towns over from where I live (we actually own a Royal paper shredder. Kinda weird...)

But what do I know about the business dealing of  failing industry 30 years ago?

Board footera