You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-3-2016 19:49:31  #1

If you were decorating a room around a Royal 10...

What would you choose? I'm imagining a film noir-style private eye, lol. What desk, lamps, telephone, etc. would you pair with it? I would love to see pics, too!

29-3-2016 21:23:22  #2

Re: If you were decorating a room around a Royal 10...

All depends on the year the Royal was made I suppose. And the type of room too. Is it an office, a home study, a library, or a den? If you want the machine to be in an authentic period theme then you really need to start off with a manufacture year. On the other hand, contrast is often interesting too. A vintage typewriter in a stark, ultra-modern setting can really create more emphasis on the typewriter.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-3-2016 11:42:48  #3

Sounds like you know what look you're after - it'll be a kind of 1920s or 30s look - just get some pictures from old noir movies. I think junk shops will be your friends, but a lot of that furniture may not come cheap these days.

30-3-2016 12:51:29  #4

I think you need a gooseneck desk lamp, with a semicircular reflector around the bulb to direct all the light downward.  Also, a heavy glass ashtray (mostly full!).

31-3-2016 11:02:05  #5

I'm partial to those old, oak "teacher's desks." 
The ones with a fold-up typewriter compartment are neat, but there's a size limit and you have to clear off the desk top to use the typewriter. I just use a regular one and clear a space when I need to -- nice to have a rugged table to hold a heavy machine.
I have one I refinished in my home office and another out in the garage that I got for free that I have gotten around to refinishing yet. (It helps to have a belt sander.)

31-3-2016 11:25:53  #6

My dad has one of these with the fold up typewriter compartment in his basement.  But, they painted it with some weird antiquing paint in the '50s (kind of an off-white with blue and pink speckles in it).  I have said that I would like it at some point.  They did this to all their furniture, including an old cabinet radio (they no longer have it) and an old Victrola (still there with the paint on the outside.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

Board footera