You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-7-2013 21:58:39  #1

Brother Echelon 79 - Parts help!!

Hey everyone! 
I was wondering if anyone had an idea where to look for typewrite parts? I recently found and cleaned up my mother-in-laws old brother portable, but it's missing the N key. I have checked ebay to see if anyone has one listed, but haven't had any luck. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks!!

Bryan

05-7-2013 22:27:58  #2

Re: Brother Echelon 79 - Parts help!!

Oh, I was also wondering where I could find a spool for this typewriter? Thanks!!

05-7-2013 23:16:09  #3

Unfortunately, when it comes to parts, usually your best bet is to find another, identical model to scavenge components from.

However, what you need - a spool and a key - can be an easier fix. Most machines work with generic spools, so I'd be inclined to try one of those first to see if it  fits (alternatively, you could post a photo of your existing spool and we should be able to determine ahead of time if you need a special spool or not).

With respect to the key, you can either move one from a less used character to the missing slot, or if you're handy with mold making, fabricate a replacement key using one of your existing keys to create the mold. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-7-2013 07:57:24  #4

I think BROTHER typewriters all use universal spools. Easily found online, or at your handy printing shop. That's where I buy mine, anyway. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

25-8-2014 00:22:47  #5

Yeah, I ended up getting a universal replacement after, but unfortunately, one of the sides the spools sit on has a missing turning peg (the metal piece that physically turns the spool) so I have to just use one direction and then manually rewind. Not a big deal. :-)

25-8-2014 15:11:35  #6

Failing getting a replacement spool carrier from a 'scrap' machine, I'm sure that you could drill the carrier (I assume that it is plastic ?) and push a small nail or panel pin into it to create a new peg.  You can then cut the nail off to length to resmble the 'good' one on the other spool.  I'm sure that the carrier can be taken off the machine with very little dismantling !

25-8-2014 15:44:08  #7

I never thought about that. That's a good idea. The spool holder is metal I think, but still should be able to be repaired in that way. 
Thanks!

Board footera