You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-6-2016 18:25:53  #1

Help Me Build My Closed Collection Of Portables!

Hello Typewriter Friends:

I'm new here, but a collector of many things for many years. I like to collect functional things, things I can use that give me pleasure. I have a collection of vintage telescopes, ukuleles, among other things. Because I know that acquisition syndrome can be a problem for me, I long ago adopted a successful strategy: all my collections are "closed", meaning limited to a certain number of objects. I usually set the number at 6, being a good workable figure, both for storage and budget. If I already have 6 and want another, then one must be sold or moved out (read "given away") to make room.

So, my closed collection of typewriters is in its infancy.  I just gave a desktop away, and will be concentrating on portables, with their cases.

I thought I would ask your help for my wish list. I am going to post my ideas, but I'd like to hear your own:  if you could only have 6 working portables, from any era, what would they be? I value everyone's ideas, and--I think it would be fun for me to hear what everyone would choose. I'm sure my final list will differ from the list I put down here.

So, here it is.

I already have an Olympia SM 9, and a Royal Quiet De Luxe (picture below), and they stay on the list. I like typewriters before 1965 or so.

1. Olympia SM9
2. Royal Quiet De Luxe
3. Hermes 3000, Elite type
4. Olympia SM3 or SM4, hopefully cursive
5. Olivetti Lettera 32 
6. Smith Corona Silent--or some other cool glass keyed machine from 30s or 40s.

There it is. I value your input. I'm sure I'm missing out on a bunch of ideas I hadn't even considered!

Last edited by Uwe (06-6-2016 11:31:34)

05-6-2016 21:08:00  #2

Re: Help Me Build My Closed Collection Of Portables!

Hmm... The Olympia SM-3/4 is probably a must because it's pretty much universally loved. I'd shoot for the SM-4 because it has the keyboard tab sets but performance is pretty much the same and it doesn't matter that much. 

The Royal QDL is also a good one to have because it combines a lot of what people love about typewriters into one package, such as the classic styling to the rugged reliability. 

Even though I don't own a Hermes 3000, I still really want one and I'd keep one in my collection too. Though I've never tried so I don't know how it types but other people can fill you in on that.

I think an SC Silent is a good choice too. I myself have a 1947 SC Clipper that I love. So I think it'd be a nice representative of the Smith-Corona legacy

As for the Olivetti Lettera 32, I personally would go for the Lettera 22. I have the 22 instead of the 32, and I have to say I like the body style more. It's an absolutely beautiful typewriter and the touch is pretty nice too. Again, someone can fill you in on the details of the 32, but from my experience, the 22 is just lovely

However, as for the SM-9, I'd substitute it for something else. I love the SM-9, I have two, but for just typing, I prefer my SM-4. It was a hard choice, and one I didn't want to admit to myself, but that's just my preference. Personally, I'd get an Underwood or Remington Noiseless. I absolutely love my 1932 Underwood Noiseless (that I need to get around to fixing it because it's been broken for nearly 9 months...) and I love the classic design. But it's up to you.

I think that'd be my collection, and maybe I would have a Royal Portable, or a Royal Arrow, and an Olympia SF DeLuxe. But it's hard for me to choose because I have more than 6 portables... Like a lot more... But I think your potential collection is a fine example of a collection

Again, these are my opinions. If I said something wrong, please just politely correct it; I don't want anymore stress or conflict in my life right now.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

05-6-2016 21:14:06  #3

ztyper--nothing said wrong!  I really appreciate your thoughts. My entire purpose in posting this is hearing what others would add. I really appreciate your ideas, especially the Olivetti 22 and the Royal QDL--I've never actually seen either one of those machines, so I'll have to look them up. Thanks so much!

05-6-2016 21:30:02  #4

QDL = Quiet Deluxe; the Royal in your picture above looks to be a QDL.

Portables:  Smith-Corona Silent, Royal Quiet Deluxe (I have several variations of this model), Olympia SM-9 (mine looks like the Olympia in the above picture), Olympia SM-3, Remington 5.  If I need to add a 6th one, a folding Corona 3 for the coolness factor. 

You don't list any electric portables, but I have a Smith-Corona Coronet Super 12 that I used to practice my typing on (when I took a typing class).  I like it too.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

05-6-2016 23:09:41  #5

Nice portable list! And I concur regarding the Lettera 22 over the 32 but they seem to be a little more finicky with the carriage release and the typing action is a just a little stiffer. It could just be those specific machines that I've personally came across. In addition, I think the round key models looks more attractive.

Can't go wrong with those SM3/4. Keep in mind that when you're using any cursive/script it may become bothersome to the eye when using it to write a novel or any lengthy project. Also, they will not do well with OCR transfers for editing. Gorgeous for letter writing and poetry. 

The SC's. I personally prefer the 1940's Speedline body models over the Super-5.

You must try a Hermes 3000. Not my favorite or my fastest typer but it feels different than any that i have own. Just for that, it's a good one to "test". There's mixed reactions to the 3000.

As far as my own list. It's close to yours excluding the Royal QDL and SM9

The Torpedo 18 and the Facit TP1 would replace the QDL and SM9 on my list.

IMO, the Facit TP1 feels similar to the SM9, slightly better though but they tend to have carriage issues,  and they are hard to come by versus the SM9. A working one would be on my list.

Keep in mind, this is only my own personal preferences for the portables. You will discover that it varies from person to person yet there are a few that will be consistently on most preferred lists.

Again, great list! 

05-6-2016 23:29:45  #6

igotztowrite:  Thank you! I use these mostly for poetry writing, so perfect. I'll have to look into the Torpedo and Facit since they are not machines I have studied.

colrehogan: regarding electrics, I had a SC Classic 12 as a kid that was a workhorse. Is the Coronet Super 12 similar but electric?

05-6-2016 23:41:56  #7

Oops repeated posts. I'm getting error of server problems.You may also research the Alpina/AMC/Avona and the Triumph Dejur Perfekt. I believe made in the late 50-s through early 60's?   Great typers but one of my qualifiers is that I need to have more open space on my ribbon cover. I have difficulties reading what is typed on those spool covers with high front covers and small openings. For me, that area needs to be larger and less obtrusive. Sometimes, I’ll take the spool covers off while typing. If that doesn't bother you, those would be on my list as well.

05-6-2016 23:54:14  #8

Ohh mostly poetry? The German built models that I mentioned are suited for longer writing sessions. My favorite for poems or character/story development is the Remington Model 5 Streamlined. The print is not the most reliable. They are just fun and gorgeous. It get more of my creative side out on paper than the work horse German ones.

Good luck in your search!

06-6-2016 01:04:01  #9

igottztowrite, my longer writing sessions are behind me, as a proud WGA pensioner.  Now I get to write poetry and shorts. 

I'll check out the Remington. Thanks!

06-6-2016 05:07:54  #10

A Smith-Corona Sterling from the late 1940s is an absolute workhorse if you find one in good condition. Or if you have one serviced by a technician.
Otherwise, a mid 1950s Smith-Corona Silent Super is a wonderful machine for writing. Very solid. My 1956 models feels like it was built in the '80s.
Olympia? Can't go wrong with any of the SM models. I have a SM2, SM3 and SM9 and if I had to keep just three, these would probably be the ones.
Typewriters of the 1930s are beautiful to look at, and would probably be okay for short bursts of writing. I have a circa 1936 Smith-Corona Standard and it looks wonderful, but it has seen better days. I had a 1938 Remington Remette and another Remington portable from the sa,e era, but found them both a little too rough and loud to type with.
Don't even get me started on my 1928 Royal P. Again, it looks wonderful, but types like a farm tractor.
I also have a circa 1947 Royal Quiet De Luxe and it's a favourite, even though it has some idiosyncrasies.
Maybe consider also an Olivetti Studio 42, made during the 1930s and '40s.
Best of luck!

My blog, about typewriters,wristwatches, fountain pens, Bond, and whatever else happens to be polluting my mind at any given time;
---->   http://teeritz.blogspot.com.au

Board footera