You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-6-2016 16:48:37  #1

new ribbon not typing dark

I recently bought 2 new ribbons on ebay but when i put them on my smithcorona silent the print is very light. Then i swapped the ribbon from an old machine i just purchased and the print was dark. Im not sure what kind of ribbon the previous owner used but its a heck of a lot darker than the new ones i bought. Any recomendations on where to acquire quality ribbons that print dark?

16-6-2016 17:00:50  #2

Re: new ribbon not typing dark

royaltypewriter wrote:

Any recomendations on where to acquire quality ribbons that print dark?

Baco ribbons are really dark, with good inking. They cost more than the cheaper eBay ribbons, but they are highly regarded. Baco does not have a website, so you will have to email or call them to order. If interested, the contact info is:
Contact Charlene Oesch, Baco Ribbon & Supply Co., 1521 Carman Road, Ballwin, MO 63021, 314-835-9300, e-mail bacoribbon@sbcglobal.net.

16-6-2016 18:05:25  #3

royaltypewriter wrote:

I recently bought 2 new ribbons on ebay but when i put them on my smithcorona silent the print is very light.

Were the eBay ribbons new, or NOS (new old stock - a.k.a. vintage)?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-6-2016 22:09:10  #4

The ribbons i got from ebay were new and sealed in plastic, at first ithought my machine was bad because the ink was supposedly new. Ive heard some people getting ribbons from staples, are they much better inked, i think i will try that because the ribbon from ebay really were no good, almost no ink in them, and print was just too light

16-6-2016 23:08:00  #5

I remember a long time ago, back in the early 80's, I went to our local flea market and bought several tins of Old Tyme  typewriter ribbons.  The best ones I got were the nylon ribbons that fit Royal typewriters.  They must have been hermetically sealed thirty-odd years before.  When I opened a tin, the ribbon still had a very strong scent-- alot like diesel.  And the MESS it made of my fingers.  Nothing like a good, messy ribbon to make really nice, dark print!!  I like my fingers to be BLACK putting that sucker in!!  I handed in some good papers in Junior High off of those ribbons.  I also got Silk ribbons too.  They typed dark, but they had a kind of sour smell to them.  I guess it was the silk.  Who knows?

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

16-6-2016 23:22:58  #6

None of the Staples in my area carry typewriter ribbon. As far as the eBay ribbon, there is one kind that is sold by multiple sellers that is really hit and miss. It is the one with the American flag sticker and the pop-out core. I have had whole batches of those that were really dry, and an occasional decent one here and there.

The Oregon Toner Company ribbons on eBay are all right, I wouldn't call them the greatest, but they have been a bit more consistent quality control wise. I have been leaning towards them a bit more lately, especially on my portables. I have tried one Baco ribbon thus far, and it was very heavily inked--very dark. I have a second one, but I haven't decided which other machine would benefit from it best.

I have wanted to try other sources to compare, but so many carry what looks to be the same ribbon.

17-6-2016 07:07:38  #7

royaltypewriter wrote:

The ribbons i got from ebay were new and sealed in plastic, at first ithought my machine was bad because the ink was supposedly new. Ive heard some people getting ribbons from staples, are they much better inked, i think i will try that because the ribbon from ebay really were no good, almost no ink in them, and print was just too light

Two things: Did you complain to the seller, and if you did and they aren't willing to make it right, I'd post the seller's eBay name here so that others will avoid buying ribbon from the same person.

I don't know if you're in Canada or the U.S. (if you click on My Profile you can add your general area so others know where you're writing from), but Staples is a good source of decent quality ribbon. If you local store doesn't happen to stock it, it's very easy to order it online through the Staples website.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-6-2016 17:24:07  #8

Uwe wrote:

royaltypewriter wrote:

Two things: Did you complain to the seller, and if you did and they aren't willing to make it right, I'd post the seller's eBay name here so that others will avoid buying ribbon from the same person.

I don't know if you're in Canada or the U.S. (if you click on My Profile you can add your general area so others know where you're writing from), but Staples is a good source of decent quality ribbon. If you local store doesn't happen to stock it, it's very easy to order it online through the Staples website.

Uwe, do you happen to have a Staples part number or stocking number for their good ribbons? I've ordered some of my favorite Mead typing paper from their online store, but it'd be nice to get ribbons that way, too.

~Joe

17-6-2016 18:50:40  #9

Just wanted to mention that some eBay sellers of ribbons are supplying a good product - you just struck one less good.

Sincerely,
beak.

17-6-2016 22:04:24  #10

JoeV wrote:

Uwe, do you happen to have a Staples part number or stocking number for their good ribbons?

http://m.staples.ca/en/Porelon-Ribbon-11822-Typewriter-Twin-Spool-Cartridge/product_652970_2-CA_1_20001?langId=1

Link is to Canadian Staples page, but I'm sure it's the same number.

Board footera