You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-7-2013 12:07:33  #1

Underwood 319

What is up with this ribbon?  it looks all screwey?

I can't pull it off the spindle.. I don't know how I'll change out the ribbon.

Any ideas?

http://aguywhotypes.blogspot.com/

click on the photo to make it larger.

Ciao!
Brian S
"Life in itself is simple, we choose the complexities in how we live it", me

27-7-2013 12:17:31  #2

Re: Underwood 319

Most ribbon spools just lift up and off the posts they turn on. However, there are myriad other ways that they can be fixed to the machine. Some have nuts that have to be unscrewed from the spool shafts first, others have spring-loaded ribbon guides that are on the inside of the spool and need to be pulled away from the spool before it can be removed.

The closest model I have to your Underwood (Olivetti) is an Olivetti Lettera 25, which like many Olivetti models, uses a metal nut to hold the spool down. It's hard to tell from your photo - an image taken closer to the actual spool would help a lot - but it looks like your machine has some sort of a non-standard spool post, and that there is a pin instead of a nut to hold the spool down.

Have you tried to either pull the pin out from the shaft, or maybe swivel it straight up? 

Also, I wasn't sure what you meant about the ribbon looking "screwy". Could you elaborate a little on what you mean?

27-7-2013 12:39:37  #3

yeah.. just that, what you said..
it looks like a pin with a post.. I tried pulling it up by hand and it was rock hard.. so.......  

maybe a little plier action might be what's needed.. I'll keep tinkering.

Ciao!
Brian S

27-7-2013 12:49:21  #4

ahh.. got it.. it screwed off..I just have to hunt some ribbon down and should be good to go.

Ciao!
Brian S

27-7-2013 13:27:07  #5

abstractsbybrian wrote:

I just have to hunt some ribbon down and should be good to go.

Fortunately, that's the easy part.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera