You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-8-2016 07:48:31  #1

Cleaning Cast Iron: Oliver 3

Hi, everyone:

So my current long-term restoration project is this old Oliver 3 that I salvaged. I've been slowly disassembling it, cleaning all of the metal mechanical bits along the way. But--as a novice at this--I'm still worried when it comes to cleaning and refurbishing the painted cast-iron base. It has worn spots, rust spots, and a century's worth of grime. 

I've tried a wide variety of cleaners--from scrubbing bubbles and other light chemicals to steel wool. I've found that a Dremel tool with a wire brush works wonders for getting the rust off of the exposed metal parts (see photo below), but I'm hesitant to touch the original paint with it, for fear that it'll come off--though I haven't had any problems with flaking, peeling, etc. thus far. 

I suppose as a last resort I could just repaint it, but I really, really want to avoid that, because there is no way I could duplicate the original decals/lettering, and I wouldn't want to even if I could. 

So, any ideas on cleaning painted cast iron? I've done a number of internet searches, and most take you to suggestions about cleaning cast iron pans (including using chemicals like oven cleaners), but certainly they're not talking about something that's painted, much less something over 100 years old. Any suggestions would be most gratefully appreciated! 

14-8-2016 08:37:47  #2

Re: Cleaning Cast Iron: Oliver 3

Id get yourself some wax/cleaner for cars. And scrub the heck out of that thing. My Oliver had tons of oxidation and grime on it, turning it grey. Now its bright green.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

14-8-2016 08:38:43  #3

Oh, and by the way, if you need anything small like screws re plated, I can do that.

Back from a long break.

15-8-2016 07:16:59  #4

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Id get yourself some wax/cleaner for cars. And scrub the heck out of that thing. My Oliver had tons of oxidation and grime on it, turning it grey. Now its bright green.

Thanks so much for the pointers! I'll head to the store today and see what I can find. Any brand/product in particular that you'd recommend?

15-8-2016 07:56:24  #5

If you are most concerned now about the painted cast iron, I should look at the task as that of cleaning old paint, regardless of the iron base.  I don't have one of these machines, but from your pictures, I'm wondering if the lettering is not more paint, but stencilled rather than a transfer - I cannot tell.  Perhaps research along those lines?
Saving the other comment, I would not be inclined to introduce any wax at this stage, since it will have the effect of sealing in any dirt, rather than removing it.  Wax will, however, be useful once the dirt is gone, specially a hard wax such as carnauba wax - or rather a mixture of waxes with a high percentage of carnauba, since it is too brittle to be used on its own and is rarely seen commercially (in tins you can buy) except when tempered by other, softer waxes.  As with most such finishes, apply sparingly, rub out fully, and leave to set a day or so, followed by further applications if required, is the way to success.

Sincerely,
beak.

15-8-2016 09:29:02  #6

beak wrote:

If you are most concerned now about the painted cast iron, I should look at the task as that of cleaning old paint, regardless of the iron base.  I don't have one of these machines, but from your pictures, I'm wondering if the lettering is not more paint, but stencilled rather than a transfer - I cannot tell.  Perhaps research along those lines?
Saving the other comment, I would not be inclined to introduce any wax at this stage, since it will have the effect of sealing in any dirt, rather than removing it.  Wax will, however, be useful once the dirt is gone, specially a hard wax such as carnauba wax - or rather a mixture of waxes with a high percentage of carnauba, since it is too brittle to be used on its own and is rarely seen commercially (in tins you can buy) except when tempered by other, softer waxes.  As with most such finishes, apply sparingly, rub out fully, and leave to set a day or so, followed by further applications if required, is the way to success.

Most cleaner wax mixes will dissolve itself once applied again. So sealing dirt should not be an issue.

Any brand should be fine. Turtle wax,Meguirers (Or however you spell it), etc.

Back from a long break.

18-8-2016 22:22:24  #7

Meguiar's

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

Board footera