You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-8-2016 00:41:45  #1

Remington Standard 30

Hey all,

I found a Remington Standard 30 at a yard sale this week, priced for exactly the amount of spare change I had in my pocket.  It was meant to be, so it came home with me.  It passes the 'quick brown fox' test with flying colours and seems impossible to jam the keys by typing too fast.  The movement on the keys is super-smooth, almost like using an old-style electric keyboard.  It's well used and has had keys repaired at different stages of its life.  I feel like it's been well maintained.  All it seems to need is a good dusting and probably a new ribbon soon.

This is the machine I would like to use for my main writing.  But before I do, I have a few questions.

Am I right in thinking this is a pretty common machine and that it's nothing special, so I don't need to feel bad about using it?

Is there anything specific to this model I need to know for maintenance?  The tabulator seems pretty unusual to me, but I have limited experience with typewriters.  I know basically how to make them type and how the movements work but am still learning about maintenance.

Protection from dust seems to be a good idea.  I've been thinking of making a box for it, but I'm wondering if there are other ideas for covering it between uses.

Basically, I have a lot to learn.  Can you point me in the right direction?

16-8-2016 06:18:10  #2

Re: Remington Standard 30

I believe the Remington 30 is the ten key tabulator version of the 12.

My blog - Just Typewriters

16-8-2016 09:49:52  #3

So manuals for the Standard 12 would apply (more or less) to the 30?  
It's okay for me to use this machine?  

From my hour with google, I came up with a date in the mid to late 1930's.  Does this sound correct?  I couldn't find any matches for my serial number (LC50672) or any with the two letter start.  Could you offer any thoughts?

Here're some photos of my new machine.

The E, T, R, and L keys have been replaced at some time in the past, judging from the chrome and that the keys aren't as worn as the rest of them.  I don't know about the A key - it's a different colour, but the chrome and wear on the key are consistent with the other keys.  Anyway, I'm absolutely thrilled with how it types, now to get the dust off and find a spot for it.  

19-8-2016 11:52:07  #4

Another question for you:

On the paper rest, the logo says "Remmington Typewriter Company of Canada".  Yet, there is no dollar sign, only the pound and cent sign.  I think Canada switched to the dollar about 1870s-ish.  

19-8-2016 13:29:33  #5

Remington Canada serial numbers can vary greatly from those used for American-made machines, and information is lacking, so it's not surprising that you didn't have much luck figuring out its year of manufacture. I think it dates from the late '20s - early '30s.

Yes, it's absolutely okay to use the machine, that's what it was made for. Storing and not using a machine can actually be more damaging than using it on a regular basis. There are plenty of Remington standards from this era around, so even if you needed a part it could most likely be sourced from another model.

As for the lack of a $ character, my guess would be that it was either built for export - or, since it's a bookkeeping typewriter that probably was mostly used to fill in ledgers, it was given that the currency was in dollars and the £ character was an extra for use in correspondence or currency conversions.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-8-2016 11:24:01  #6

Very cool! I just recently picked-up an old Remington 10 that looks very similar to your machine. (Or it may technically be another model, since it also has the ten-key tabulator--but it has the open body of a Remington 10. I still don't completely "get" the whole tabulator thing other than just being more bells and whistles back in the day. But I suppose that's a topic for some other time.)

Anyway, I've noticed that a couple of my keys (8, 0, period, comma, and the shift keys) are also orange, while all the rest are white. I thought perhaps it was just the amount of grime on them that led to some discoloration, and that they might freshen up with a bit of cleaning. I'll let you know once I get into that one--but it is interesting to see someone in the same boat!

20-8-2016 11:36:19  #7

Your Remington 10 sounds great!

With my keys, the yellow ones all have shiny new chrome that isn't as worn as the rest of the keys.  This makes me think they've been replaced.  Also, it could be the coating on the new keys is a kind of early (oil or coal based) plastic, like cellulose which yellows and discolours when exposed to light.  I think lacquer also discolours as it ages.

I don't know if this is right, but the older keys feel almost like they are covered in glass or some sort of clear enamel.   It would be really interesting to learn what sort of materials they made keys from.  Is there a timeline available out there somewhere?

20-8-2016 14:20:36  #8

To check if your keycards are covered with either glass or celluloid, try pricking with a pin in an inconspicuous place.  If it is glass, the pin will glide off.  If it is celluloid, the pin will snag in the surface.

20-8-2016 15:42:08  #9

Thanks for the tip about the pin.  All the keys feel like celluloid, but some are softer than others.

20-8-2016 19:19:20  #10

I've been typing a bit on this machine today and found that the spacebar feels clunky and didn't always advance the um... there's a word for it I'm sure.  The advancement problem was solved by dislodging a bit of dirt/fluff/dust bunny from a spring in the back.  But the clunky feeling remains.

What seems to be happening is that the bracket under the space bar is touching the table.  It looks like there is a bumper wrapped in felt that is suppose to prevent this.  I was already thinking of replacing the felt inside the case as it's coming unstuck and is just icky.  So I'll re-pad this bumper at the same time.

Questions about felt replacement:
-is wool felt okay to use as the replacement?
-could you recommend a kind of glue I could use?

Board footera