You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-8-2016 16:44:11  #1

Removing Odor on Old Case

So, I have a case for a 1924 Corona No. 3 that smells a bit like mildew. I would like to remove the odor and am wondering if it would be okay to wipe the case down with vinegar. Will that affect it negatively or remove the color in any way? Is there a better method? I've let it air out for a while and have left an odor eliminator inside the case as well but had little success. Thanks in advance!

28-8-2016 21:38:19  #2

Re: Removing Odor on Old Case

My first method of attack is to wipe down the inside of the case with either a mild soap solution, or Lysol Disinfecting Wipe, neither of which should damage the case at all. If the smell persists I use a product called Concrobium Mold Control which kills mold and is supposed to prevent further growth. You didn't mention where you live, so if these products are not available locally I'm sure that there are comparable ones you could use. Keep in mind that if the case has mold, the machine usually does too. Mold loves ribbons and any felt/sound dampening material that a machine might have. With a Corona 3 you would only have to worry about the ribbon.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera