You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-9-2016 15:37:59  #1

Olivetti M40

Hi there,

I've seen a few Olivetti M40's pass by on local auctions lately, and I've gotten to be quite interested in getting one. Potentially.
Does anyone have any experiences to share over these machines? 

I think they look stunning, but after a few misguided purchases these past months of machines that looked great, but were rubbish typers, I figured to ask around first, and shop later.

Just a picture from Wiki-something

09-9-2016 16:35:05  #2

Re: Olivetti M40

The biggest problem with shopping online, I think, is you're practically buying "only sight-seen, but not tried."  It's akin to buying a pig in a poke.  You're gonna take a chance on buying something you haven't been able to really look at close up and get the feel of.  It may be okay if what you're buying is something you're familiar with--better still if you've got spare parts with which to fix it.  But, if you have neither, you're taking a really big chance.  A typewriter is a complex mechanical gadget with at least 2000 moving parts which, if not properly maintained (usually you'll find typewriters that were improperly stored and neglected for many years) will be frozen up, rusted, and often have parts missing.  As for this particular machine, I'm not a particular fan of Olivetti for a number of reasons, but this one does look pretty good.  But, again, what you see and what you get may be two different animals.  Buyer beware.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

30-12-2016 12:12:34  #3

Hi there guys.
So after posting this, I waited a bit and looked around for a M40. 
Eventually one popped up not too far from and I went to collect it for only 25€ (around 28 USD?). The machine was in good working condition, although a little dirty and some rusty parts. Below are some pictures I made before I started cleaning it.
After the picture, I've already worked off most of the rust on the chrome parts, and those are  very shiny now. All I have to do now is clean up the keys, which are still a bit rusty on some of them. I'll take some more pictures once the machine is completely clean.

As for how it types, I think it's a very fine machine. Actually fairly light, and full-featured with tabulator and a lever that helps set the margins.

Related, does anyone know where you can find the serial number for this type of machine? I've tried most places I can think of (bottom, under/near the ink ribbon spools, under the carriage).

30-12-2016 15:13:30  #4

The serial number should be stamped on the frame between the right-side ribbon spool and the carriage, and oriented perpendicular to the carriage. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

31-12-2016 07:10:43  #5

Uwe,

Thanks for your advice! I was able to find it. The spot was a bit dirty so the numbers were 'hidden'.
The number is 417999, which I think places it in 1946.

Board footera