You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-9-2016 16:46:45  #1

Corona 3 folding: Carriage does not move when a key is pressed

Hello Everyone,

​I haven't visited these pages for quite some time.
But there is a problem now that I don't seem to be able to solve.
 I recently purchased a Corona 3 folding typewriter from eBay. 95% rust free, very nice to look and touch. Clearly not overused in the past. Everything seems to be OK with this machine except that the carriage does not move by one space (it doesn't move at all) when a letter key or the space key is pressed.I checked the brace shaped lever mechanism underneath the carriage that protrudes at the bottom when a key is depressed. It moves freely. However, when it presses against the little lever in the escapement mechanism, nothing happens at all. The carriage, indeed everything in the mechanism (except the brace with the spigot [?] in the middle) remains stationary. I should mentioned that- I downloaded the online Corona 3 manual and my machine is identical to it in every detail to the last screw, lever and spring. I am not attaching a photo at the stage as my machine looks exactly (under the escapement plate) as shown in the manual.- I cleaned and oiled the whole mechanism as per the instructions in the manual,- the backspace key works fine,
- the carriage release levers at either end of the carriage release the carriage which then moves freely with a strong, healthy pull to the left,What never happens is the one space shift to the left that is necessary for continuous writing.
The carriage remains solidly in place, whether you hit a key (any key) harder or press it gently. Whether you hold the carriage up in a half folding position, hold it upside down, makes no difference.
The little lever under the escapement plate against which the brace presses each time a key is pressed is quite stiff. All cleaned and oiled, it still takes strong manipulation to move it backwards and forwards. But it looks as if it is designed like that.
It has been suggested that I should oil the "pivot" and try to ease the carriage left and right to resolve this problem. If by pivot the little catch is meant that reaches into the cogs on the bottom of the carriage, this is clean and oiled. But nothing seems to pull it back from the cogs if a key is pressed. All the little springs are in place.

Can you please advise as to how this problem could be solved?Many many thanks.

14-9-2016 17:00:50  #2

Re: Corona 3 folding: Carriage does not move when a key is pressed

Sounds like something is binding in the universal bar frame.  This is a semi-circle-shaped piece of metal behind the type bars, and when a type bar hits it, it is supposed to hit the escapement mechanism so it advances the carriage one space at a time.  You may have something dirty, something bent, or something out of adjustment.  Not being able to see the machine, the only thing I can tell you is to try to trace the movements of this bar frame, and see what it pushes, and where it starts to bind for whatever reason.  Good luck, and let me know how you come out.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

14-9-2016 19:14:23  #3

Thanks for this, I checked it. My impression is that the universal bar frame is moving without hindrance. It is clean, lightly oiled and reacts normally when a type bar is hit. It seems to me, however, that it either does not hit anything in the escapement mechanism because it is too far from anything in its range, or when I manually swing the escapement mechanism around the escapement arm bearing closer towards the reach of the middle hammer (?) of the universal bar frame, this hammer hits a point on a little metal stick just near the stop lever screw, but the whole thing being rather stiff, nothing happens.​I tried to loosen the double nut holding down escapement arm bearing, which did reduce the stiffness, but still, the hit by the bar frame did not cause an advance to the carriage. What do you think? Is this possible?(I am trying to attach an image here from the online manual (from where I took the technical terms used above) via www.box.com , but I am not sure I have succeeded.)

14-9-2016 19:29:58  #4

You may also have an alignment problem.  It could be that once the carriage is folded down, whatever the universal bar frame is supposed to hit is either too high or too low.  Fold down the carriage to see where the levers all go and bring a type bar up to bring the bar frame out to see what it is nearest to, and see where the escapement mechanism is in relation to the bar frame.  That's the only thing I can think of without actually seeing where the two mechanisms land in relation to each other.  Good luck.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

14-9-2016 20:32:03  #5

I will record a series of sharp images and short movie files to show you what is happening. This will take a few days. Perhaps  that's the only way this could be resolved.
I tried the alignment but it did yield improvement. The only thing I could think of is that some part is missing from the mechanism. But that does not seem to be the case.

I hope URLs via box.com, hosting both stills and moving pictures, can be linked to the forum. Many thanks in advance.

15-9-2016 03:58:59  #6

One more piece of information. Whenever a key is pressed (when the Corona is in folded open), including the space bar, the ribbon frame rises, the little plate with the ribbon color selector turns inwards, the universal frame bar moves to hit, but when you release the type bar (the carriage did not move one space ahead), the mechanism DOES NOT FALL BACK INTO ITS ORIGINAL POSTION. Only very slightly moving back. The letter bar falls back into place, the space bar rises up, but the central ribbon frame (where the type hits the paper) remains stuck in the "up" position and the plate color selector does not return either, remains inwards. You have to manually bring them back where they were. But only a VERY LITTLE effort, nudge, is enough to achieve this.
This phenomenon does not happen if the universal bar frame is not "engaged", the Corona is not fully unfolded, not resting on the bottom frame properly, the carriage is just hanging in the air, held by hand.  I wonder if this helps in identifying the problem.

15-9-2016 10:52:40  #7

With the carriage in the folded position, look at where the carriage rests when open. You'll see a flat bar that is connected to the universal bar that has a spring-controlled hook at each end of it. These hooks often get bent out of position and as a result they don't properly mesh with the carriage which prevents the machine from working properly. It would be the first thing that I would check.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-9-2016 17:14:03  #8

I checked the two little hooks at either end. They seem undamaged, properly sprung. I can see that when the machine is folded open they engage with cogwheels under the ribbon spools, making them advance one slot each time a bar is hit. This part of the machine is working well.​The fact remains, however, that the hammer on the middle of the universal bar does not hit anything when a type bar is hit, literally nothing comes into contact with it (even though it travels the full way), so the carriage stays put. I will make a short low definition video of this by tomorrow to show. Hopefully the link will work here. Thanks.

17-9-2016 15:58:32  #9

I have taken several stills and videos to demonstrate the problem. (Carriage not moving,)​The key "evidence" in my view is the footage taken underneath the carriage where it can be seen that the hammer on the universal bar does not hit anything in the escapement mechanism. (The link is marked with an x.) Even though the escape mechanism itself appears to be sound. It beats me. Please help.

Videos:
https://app.box.com/s/geuphwtkr5shfgokridh0b87q8n8xp4o 
https://app.box.com/s/rp4nqjrwukgc0dvp0k1hjxzrtvow3n90
https://app.box.com/s/hti2izh35pa85ckubex6rqfopsi7o7n3
https://app.box.com/s/czd7vlc9plk4rcz4nhmkzur5ffwhbgdq 
https://app.box.com/s/tpyka16w394gwsfydao11ma4plimjz26
https://app.box.com/s/kvs4ccusxlr9xv1mhi6uhnws8khmfu2e 

(Please note that the Backspace bar is not present, it came off, it is a minor problem and it is being dealt with, a new holding screw is being manufactured.) 

Last edited by Uwe (17-9-2016 17:02:12)

22-9-2016 15:17:02  #10

I have noticed a further issue since posting the pictures.
​In addition to the bar hits not forwarding the carriage, depending how the escapement mechanism is positioned at the bottom,
- ​either the Backspace works well and the Carriage Release does not (it is stuck); or
- the Carriage Release works well and the Backspace does not (would not go all the way down).

There is no situation in which both the Carriage Release and the Backspace operate simultaneously.
There must be a logical explanation for these problems.

Board footera