You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-9-2016 13:04:34  #1

new portables

I just purchased two new additions to my typewriter collection, bring it up to five.  I purchased an Underwood portable from the early 1950's and an excellent, well maintained Olympia SM3 deluxe.  I didn't know the SM3 had the floating carriage but my pinkie finger is getting well developed and once it's up, I let gravity do the rest.  Surprising I like the SM3 as much as, or more, than my SM9 deluxe's.

24-9-2016 16:29:45  #2

Re: new portables

Careful, the typewriter bugs are munchin' on ya.  Pretty soon you'll be like me and have those little critters tuggin' on your ears.  Man, they itch!!

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

25-9-2016 00:38:39  #3

Congratulations!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

25-9-2016 11:09:30  #4

Hi Typ-n-gon

​Indeed the early Olympias are surprising machines for being a carriage shift. The way I describe them is;
​The SM9 is a pleasure to use, but the SM3 and 4 are a delight. I have a 1960 SM4 with cursive type loaded with blue ribbon, although my typing speed isn't anything great, it's not long before I have a 3 or 4 page letter typed.

Happy typing,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

26-9-2016 18:13:43  #5

I prefer the SM3/4 over the SM9. Great typers. The typing actions are very close that I tend to lean towards the prettier SM3/4 over the SM9. There is an easy adjustment to lighten the carriage shift so that it's easier on your pinkies. 

27-9-2016 21:08:20  #6

What is that adjustment?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

27-9-2016 22:35:40  #7

colrehogan wrote:

What is that adjustment?

There are two. Below the carriage. Move carriage left or right. View photo. Lift up from below with a small tool. Then tighten the nut. The objective is to stretch that large metal coil. Carefully double check that the carriage clears on both sides.I stretch them just enough that the carriage clears. In addition, I suggest replacing those grommets next to the feet if they are squashed prior to this adjustment.

http://imgur.com/VPkW8aW

Grommet replacement (common repair, for those that new to this)

http://imgur.com/SrWxjeP

Board footera