You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-10-2016 16:51:45  #1

Curbside Typewriter Service

Some years ago, a good friend of mine brought his typewriter over to my house to be serviced.  It needed a ribbon and it had an issue with the ribbon vibrator.  He drove up in a full-size 80's model GMC RV van.  I climbed up inside of it and there it was--a Royal KHM (I think a '36 model).  I had a replacement ribbon plus a few tools and some cleaning fluids and oil with me.  Inside of about ten minutes, I had the machine going along like the proverbial Singer sewing machine--right there in the guy's van!!  He and I traded typewriters out, so he had another one in there I got, and I got it to working too.  It was a 1939 Royal KMM--which was special to me for two reasons:  first, it was made the year my mother was born (Rest her Soul); and it looks just like the typewriter on that Angela Lansbury (Jessica Fletcher) TV show.  In fact, I named this typewriter "Jessica, after the TV Heroine.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

02-10-2016 20:27:35  #2

Re: Curbside Typewriter Service

Back in the era of typewriters do you suppose there was ever such a mobile repair service?

02-10-2016 20:46:53  #3

Re: Curbside Typewriter Service

Yes.  There most certainly was.  In fact, I knew a man who for years had a route in Houston, Texas, where he performed maintenance and repairs on typewriters in several offices.  Here in Waco, I know a man who for many years until he retired performed repairs and services on on the school typewriters.  The major typewriter companies, at least in the U. S., had service contracts and agreements with their customers, who, for a fee, could have periodic servicing performed on the typewriters they bought from that particular company.  I feel sure overseas companies had similar arrangements as well.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera