You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-3-2013 06:57:21  #1

Manual uploads?

Is it possible to upload manuals to this forum?

17-3-2013 16:05:14  #2

Re: Manual uploads?

I don't think so, but I'll look into it. There are certainly other ways around this like using a free file sharing service. You can certainly create a link to a file that exists elsewhere by clicking on the link icon (the one with the chain symbol) and then entering the URL (http address) for the file.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-3-2013 14:56:05  #3

Thanks. I'm a member of an archery forum (another hobby) that has an upload section. I wasn't sure if this was an easy feature to set up or not.

18-3-2013 15:10:58  #4

Stevetype33 wrote:

Thanks. I'm a member of an archery forum (another hobby) that has an upload section. I wasn't sure if this was an easy feature to set up or not.

I suppose with an archery forum that they could easily sell ad space to manufacturers, retailers, etc... and generate some money to run a very robust forum.

This is a free service and somewhat limited based on that. There is the option to upgrade to a more robust version, but that would require money. I would have entertained hosting this forum at its own domain and making it as feature-rich as possible if it was possible to sell some ads, but to who? There might be the odd ribbon manufacturer or service shop that might pay a little to advertise here, but I'm sceptical that it would be enough to cover costs, and there's no way that I want to risk getting stuck paying for it out of pocket.

For now I'd like to see where this all goes, and if Typewriter Talk grows to a reasonable size with decent traffic, then I would probably re-visit all of this. Traffic is what ultimately makes ad space sellable, and ad sales would help improve the forum's features. It's a bit of a Catch-22, but for now it's just important that we get off to a good start and make sure everyone enjoys spending time here.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-3-2013 14:26:05  #5

The typewriter website, "Machines of Loving Grace" has several free, PDF manuals. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

29-3-2013 13:32:11  #6

You're right, Uwe. The Archery forum is very ad heavy. (Thanks for setting this one up by the way.)

31-3-2013 03:39:02  #7

If anyone knows of any reliable and free file sharing services, please let me know.
I have some documents I'd like to share with you guys.

My blog: http://papelymaquina.blogspot.com/  
            Photo gallery: http://papelymaquina.imgur.com/

31-3-2013 08:11:24  #8

There's always Dropbox, but anyone who wanted access to a 'Typewriter Talk' shared folder would have to be invited on an individual basis, at least, that's my understanding.

Last edited by Stevetype33 (31-3-2013 13:26:32)

31-3-2013 11:19:13  #9

Amelia wrote:

If anyone knows of any reliable and free file sharing services, please let me know.
I have some documents I'd like to share with you guys.

Amelia, you seem to be able to host photos as part of your blog. Can you host files too? Maybe you could post them there and just mention that they're available here?

28-12-2014 05:06:38  #10

Uwe - I have several that I had thought to share.  I was wondering if scanning as jpegs would be acceptable?  I don't know how much the forum can stand in the way of uploaded pictures.
What do you think?

Ps
I too appreciate your efforts in getting this site up and running - becoming a great resource for me.

Last edited by beak (28-12-2014 05:08:09)

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera