You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-10-2016 09:15:53  #1

Olympia SG1 with Matching Serial Numbers (body and carriage)

Saw a listing for one of these, with pictures of the two serial numbers. I didn't think this was common at all; in fact, I thought it was pretty typical that they not match. Thoughts?

05-10-2016 10:37:20  #2

Re: Olympia SG1 with Matching Serial Numbers (body and carriage)

It would be nice to see the actual photos to determine which two numbers are the matching pair because the SG1 often has three serial numbers on it.

A carriage number that matches the frame number would be be quite rare I would think, especially since frame numbers typically use a prefix 7 while carriages use an 8.  Of the ten-or-so SG1s that I own, I can think of one or two that have matching frame and rail numbers. I've never paid that close attention to it, but now I'm curious and will have to check each machine whenever it's handy.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-10-2016 13:42:11  #3

OK, never mind -- the pictures were of the frame and carriage rail (not the carriage; the lister probably isn't aware there is a separate serial number for the carriage).

05-10-2016 14:43:39  #4

You have to remove the carriage to get at its serial number, something they must have already done if they have a photo of the frame number. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-10-2016 14:56:38  #5

Can't you see the frame number just by sliding the carriage over, without lifting off the carriage? The pictures that the seller posted were of the frame number, and the same number on the carriage rail. The carriage number is in white paint and looks quite different. 

05-10-2016 17:22:06  #6

Fleetwing wrote:

Can't you see the frame number just by sliding the carriage over, without lifting off the carriage?

No. It's obscured by the carriage housing, which is part of the carriage assembly and is removed when you lift the carriage off the machine. I don't recall having ever seen a carriage number in white paint. It's usually engraved through the paint to show bare metal (see photo below).

Frame serial number

Carriage Serial Number

Carriage Rail Serial Number

06-10-2016 08:59:24  #7

You're correct; I was thinking of the SG3, where you can see the body serial number without removing the carriage. And yes, it looks like white paint on the carriage but it's just engraved into the metal and looks white from a distance.

06-10-2016 13:30:12  #8

I think there were several carriages offered for the SG1. You could buy different ones for different purposes and swap 'em out.

06-10-2016 14:40:53  #9

Yes, that's why the carriages had their own serial numbers. There were SEVEN carriage widths available, from the compact 9.5 inch version to the massive ledger-sized 35 inch option.

06-10-2016 22:24:01  #10

Ever seen one of the 35 inch carriages? It must have come with some sort of stabilizers; otherwise I could imagine it would tip over.

Board footera