You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-10-2016 08:37:45  #1

Is there a particular slug you want?

I'm not really in the market for any more typewriters, but if I saw one that contained a section symbol . . . .§§§§§§§§§Anything you guys are looking for? Any symbol you are dying to type?

25-10-2016 08:45:45  #2

Re: Is there a particular slug you want?

Well, I'd love a German keyboard generally, and a Cyrillic. I think the German keyboards, the older ones anyway, often come with the section symbol. Definitely the section symbol is on my list, and the pilcrow (¶).

25-10-2016 10:38:51  #3

Certainly, the section symbol is common on German/Swiss (home market) machines - all of mine have it.  The symbol I lack (none of my machines have it) is the degree sign - in fact, what I really want is another bank on one of my German/Swiss machines that has this and other common maths symbols such as Pi, Theta and so on.  One day I shall investigate the manufacture of the required slugs to add to one of my typewriters - and then throw all the others away.

Just kidding.

Sincerely,
beak.

25-10-2016 13:11:20  #4

I´d love having some really cool, no longer used symbols such as eth or thorn ([b]ð, þ), [/b]and it´d be complete madness (of the good kind, of course) having a typewriter able to perform phonologic transcription with a good bunch of Greek characters, ash, eng... For pure phonetic transcription you´d need to customize something like a Smith Premier 3, so many symbols needed!

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

25-10-2016 14:04:24  #5

A tilda or "less-than and greater-than" symbols would be nice. And more brackets; I only have one machine with brackets.

25-10-2016 14:55:11  #6

Yes, brackets -- good point. At least these: [ ]; these { } would be a nice bonus.

Of course, we then start getting into what slugs we'd have to give up in order to fit what we want on the keyboard!

25-10-2016 15:49:59  #7

Fleetwing wrote:

Of course, we then start getting into what slugs we'd have to give up in order to fit what we want on the keyboard!

I would trade back a 1/!, and any 8th fractions, if available; especially 8th fractions. On machines with the most common, typical QWERTY keyboard layout found on the average 20-50's American machine, I'd probably want to keep them as they are.

26-10-2016 05:00:24  #8

Well, if I don´t have a Spanish keyboard layout I miss the Ñ, and many times the ´, which are almost mandatory if you don´t want to plague your writing with typos. As for fractions, I´d trade most of them for pilcrows or section symbols.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

26-10-2016 17:09:01  #9

I've always thought that the degree sign was handy when it is there.  Usually, it is difficult to raise to the level to type a small "o" is tough--especially if you have a straight 1-2-3 spacing, like on most early American typewriters--and incidentally, make up the majority of my collection.  Things are a little easier when you have half-vertical spacing, and easier still when you find that rare typewriter with the degree sign.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

26-10-2016 22:45:26  #10

What I would to find is a typewriter with Serbo-Croatian slugs, such as đ / Đ and č.
I've seen some typewriters (mostly Erika models) that are fitted with Yugoslavian slugs, but they've been either too expensive, or too far away to buy without a risk.

Board footera