You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-11-2016 06:59:01  #1

1970s Olympia SG3

Hi everyone

I'm looking into buying a 1975 Olympia SG3 from a reputable typewriter restorer. I'm told this model is perhaps the best typewriter ever made. The typewriter is German-made, but has the newer Olympia badge with the red circle on the right hand side. My question is: is there any variance in the quality of these typewriters during their manufacturing run? I know that the '60s is supposed to be the golden age, but is this accurate?

Thanks

09-11-2016 08:21:11  #2

Re: 1970s Olympia SG3

No way am I any expert in this matter, but I have often asked myself the same.  What I can say is that I can find no difference in typing quality or qualities between the orange-badged version of the SM9 and the older ones that I own.  That's too small a sample to bet your house on, of course.

Sincerely,
beak.

09-11-2016 08:26:25  #3

Thanks, that's helpful. I won't be privy to any large data sets on this matter any time soon, so anecdata is most welcome.

09-11-2016 10:52:01  #4

I would disagree that the SG3 is the best typewriter that was ever made, but only because I think the SG1 is a better model. The SG3, although still an excellent machine, was given birth during a time when typewriter manufacturing went through a paradigm shift, and typewriters were designed and built to meet highly competitive pricing. As a result a few of the features that make the SG1 so good, most notably its spring cushioned keys, are not found on the SG3.

With respect to the particular SG3 that you're looking at, is it a German or Mexican made Olympia? And how much is the 'restorer' asking for it? These machines - depending on where you live - are readily available, and because they are so robust they often type extremely well right off the shelf they sat on for thirty years. The SG3 is not a model that I would spend a lot of money on, only because it's not one that you need to spend a lot of money on in order to get a good, reliable example.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-11-2016 11:32:45  #5

I always assumed the SG3 was better because it is segment shifted, but I didn't know about the spring loaded keys. The guy selling the one I'm looking at is a very well known typewriter guy in the UK (George Blackman). He's asking 169 pounds (arouns $200). I'm tempted for a few reasons. 1) I know there won't be any faults with the machine, something that is not true even of apparently good examples. 2) there are no other SGs for sale in the UK right now and I don't see them come up often. 3) I can't really travel to check out every SG for sale, so I have to buy based on descriptions on ebay, which make to reference to things like platen condition, which many sellers don't really know how to assess anyway. Your right that technically, I could get such a typewriter cheaply, but once I factor in the hours spent sourcing it and the risk involved in ordering from a random seller, I think it's worth it to buy one already serviced.

As for the SG1 though, I might hold out and see if one comes up that I can check out.

09-11-2016 11:37:11  #6

UPDATE: I was very wrong, there are actually a few SGs for sale in the UK. I might actually risk it on one of these. No SG1s though.

09-11-2016 12:10:27  #7

While I tend to think the SG1 is a little nicer than the SG3, that's maybe just because of the esthetics and a couple of additional features besides the cushioned keys -- the SG3 is a great typewriter, full stop. Even without the cushioned keys, it has a lovely typing feel (basing this on my lone example, a 1969) and more than any of my typewriters, including the SG1, I find it prints wonderfully evenly, regardless of my somewhat sloppy technique. Definitely shop around, if you have several available to you. Uwe makes a good point about how typewriters became subject to competitive pricing pressures, so perhaps look for a somewhat earlier vintage of the SG3, like from the later '60s.

09-11-2016 12:18:02  #8

Thanks Fleetwing. I've found an SG3 on ebay from 1967 (the model with the paper injector). It looks to be good quality. The problem is that these machines tend to be collection only. I'll try to convince the owner to courier it.

09-11-2016 12:34:22  #9

drowth wrote:

I always assumed the SG3 was better because it is segment shifted...

The SG1 has a segment shift too.

drowth wrote:

He's asking 169 pounds (arouns $200). I'm tempted for a few reasons.

It's your money - and I'm not trying to tell you how to spend it, or change your mind. All I'm saying is that I've never spent more than $43 on a SG3, and my machines work perfectly well. If you're more comfortable spending extra money on a machine that someone else has looked over, that's fine. It's not like $200 is a lot of money, especially not if it's the only typewriter that you plan to buy and own. But from the perspective of an average collector it's an unnecessary expense; I would never have started collecting typewriters if I had to pay $200 for each one (my average purchase price is $34).

drowth wrote:

1) I know there won't be any faults with the machine, something that is not true even of apparently good examples...

Most of the SG models that I've bought (around 15 of them) didn't have any faults and just required a little cleaning. A few did have some small problems that were easily repaired, and one was completely seized up, but even then it wasn't too difficult to bring it back to life with a little work. There aren't any guarantees when it comes to vintage typewriters; even a fully restored (whatever that might entail) machine can develop a problem of some kind in the first five minutes of use. Or it can last for years. The same can be said of an inexpensive machine you find at a yard sale.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-11-2016 12:41:15  #10

Uwe: I hear you. I guess the difference comes down to collection versus buying for the sake of writing only. I'm looking for my main writing device that I will use basically forever. I'm glad to hear that your SGs were basically just cleaning jobs and I agree that even a serviced typewriter can develop a fault.

Your advice has changed my mind. I think I'm going to hold out for a cheap unserviced example and work with that. I assume as well that standard machines, being built like tanks, are less prone to faults. Would you agree?

Board footera