You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-11-2016 18:42:23  #1

olympia SG1

I found an Olympia SG1 for $125.00 at a local antique store.  There is an Olympia SM3 deluxe for the same price. I love the SM3 that I have now and am considering a 2nd.  The SG1 is older, looks bulbous, and once it is set-up I doubt I could ever move it. A lot of people here seem to praise the SG1, but I don't know, it looks bulbous and clunky compared to the SM deluxe series.

10-11-2016 22:27:30  #2

Re: olympia SG1

The SG1 is indeed a tank - it was designed for long hard work 24/7 and intended to be the best machine Olympia could make - which many would say means the best there is.  I don't think you will find anyone here who has bought one that regrets doing so - unless they bought a damaged machine.  Interestingly - I'd love to know if anyone has evidence of an SG1 which is actually worn out from ordinary use (not simply damaged) because I don't think I've ever heard of one.  Moving up from SM to SG is purely a personal decision - pros and cons on both sides, and many professional writers were perfectly content with their SM all their working lives.  If you do get an SG, I think you will be 'blown away' at how good they are, but whether you 'need' one or not, no one can say.

Sincerely,
beak.

10-11-2016 22:28:27  #3

Well, I think once you try the SG1 you'll see what the fuss is all about. The SM3 is nice, but the segment shift on the SG1 will make you realize how much clunkier the carriage shift on the SM3 is. And check out all the characters the additional keys give you, to say nothing of the paper injector.

These are hard to find -- $125 seems a lot, but a bird in the hand.... If it seems to be working OK, you should go for it. And then we will be very interested to hear your impressions!

11-11-2016 00:23:59  #4

I'm not sure about making aesthetic comparisons between a standard and a portable. By those standards you could also say that a SM3 looks "bulbous and clunky" next to a SF.

I don't know where you live, but in my area $125 should buy you three SG1s. The problem is the source. Pricing at most antique stores is many times more than if you find a machine through local listings for used items.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-11-2016 02:13:56  #5

Yes, location is key to value.  Here in Australia, for instance, I should be content to pay 125 AUD for an SG1 in full working condition, and think it a reasonably price, though not 'a bargain'.

Sincerely,
beak.

11-11-2016 18:00:24  #6

I think the SG1 is more typewriter than 99% of people will ever need nowadays, but if you already have an SM it wouldn't hurt to experiment.  If you can negotiate a lower price you could likely come out ahead of the game, should you decide the unit is not for you and wish to sell it.

For me, I prefer my *particular* SM4 over my *particular* SG1, but that's only on a sample size of one of each.  Hardly definitive.  It may come down to condition of either unit, or as the others have said, rarity based on location.

12-11-2016 06:18:45  #7

In Spain I´ve never ever seen a SG1, so the price could range for a pittance (not probable but you can always find a bargain) to outrageous. As far as I have "suffered", overpriced typewriters are the ones that are already on the market. I mean, if everyone is selling Underwood 5´s at a 3-figure price, you´ll probably do the same with yours. Inertia, maybe?

But if somehow you have something "uncommon" like a SG1, maybe you just ask yourself how much do you want to get for it. Maybe you just want other person to enjoy it, or maybe you want to get richer than Bill Gates in one go. Thing is you don´t have a lot of overprized examples floating around. I mean, how the Underwood 5 can be SO overprices here if it´s fairly common? Same Goes for the Corona 3, and to some extent for the Hispano Olivetti M40.

In addition, I should mention I DO WANT a SG1, and so far the nearest I can find are in Germany... If normal shipping gives me nightmares, I don´t want to think about international shipping

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

12-11-2016 08:08:08  #8

Javi wrote:

In addition, I should mention I DO WANT a SG1, and so far the nearest I can find are in Germany... If normal shipping gives me nightmares, I don´t want to think about international shipping

You're in the EU - take a holiday in Germany next time - and take a small van!
Sympathize with me - I have to get SG1s etc. from Germany by paying postage to AUSTRALIA - ouch!

Sincerely,
beak.

12-11-2016 12:42:19  #9

Javi wrote:

...how the Underwood 5 can be SO overprices here if it´s fairly common?

The Underwood 5 (it's just as often a 3, 4, or 6) is not in the same category as a SG1 because it transcends the interests of typewriter enthusiasts and collectors and is also bought by those who don't have any interest in typewriters beyond having one as a decor item. To their uneducated eyes the Underwood 5 is the iconic antique typewriter. It has shiny keys, you can see inside of the machine, and its covered in old-looking paint. As a result there's a greater demand for early Underwoods, unlike the SG1 that usually only draws the attention of typewriter aficionados and people who want a robust, high-performance writing tool. 

There are so many of those early Underwoods in my area that it sometimes seems like they're still being made, and typically they are quite expensive. Those who know better just laugh at the ridiculous prices and wait for a $25 one to turn up, because they always do, and we leave the $250 ones in antique shops to those who need a fancy bookend for their library or a fancy paperweight for their desk.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-11-2016 17:48:45  #10

It seems like AEG + OLYMPIA also thought very highly of the SG1 
Around 1983 they had these three commemorative plates produced by Bing & Grondahl in Denmark.
So it must have meant a lot to their history.

Board footera