You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-11-2016 02:39:44  #1

SG1 shift problem - I've looked everywhere for an answer!

An SG1 that I thought had been destroyed in the post has bee the subject of much repair over the last year and is virtually in full working condition once more - just one problem remains, and no amount of emailing experts or trawling the web seems to help.

PROBLEM: When I use the **** key, the section (type basket) will not rise again automatically under its own steam, but needs a little help.  Tilting the whole machine backwards a little also gets me back to lower case, as does lifting up the shift key itself.
I have traced the linkages and checked the appropriate springs (which I have tensioned as high as they will go), but cannot find any fault and I cannot detect anything rubbing or fouling anywhere. 
The TT community is my last hope - anyone have any leads or suggestions on this one, before the very last of my hair is puled out?
Thanks all.

Sincerely,
beak.

17-11-2016 07:07:51  #2

Re: SG1 shift problem - I've looked everywhere for an answer!

Have you compared the key feel side by side with a working SG-1?  Something must feel different. Is the key not pushing back against your fingertip with adequate increasing spring force over its full range of travel or is the motion catching somewhere?

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

17-11-2016 08:00:16  #3

I'll do a direct comparison with a working SG1 of same date to see, but from memory, there is nothing unusual about the feel of the shift key on the way down it's just that it stays there and won't come up unless you give the key a little upwards assistance, or tilt the machine back as I mentioned.  Puzzling.

Sincerely,
beak.

17-11-2016 09:23:38  #4

Hi Beak,

This may seem like a really dumb reply, but i'm gonna post it anyway. I don't know that typer but.....
How are the feet / legs on it ? It occurs to me that if the whole machine is tilting forward and in-balancing the mechanism, a small tilt backwards would put things back into balance and everything would work properly.
If you tilt the typer slightly backward with a wad of paper under the front feet does it all work properly?
Does this make any sense and does it cure the issue?

Alan.

17-11-2016 18:10:11  #5

Bassoonbloke wrote:

Hi Beak,

This may seem like a really dumb reply, but i'm gonna post it anyway. ..............

Not dumb in the least!  Quite clever, actually.  I checked the feet originally and they seemed fine, but I'm going to look again when I get a couple of SG1s out later today and check both suggestions offered.  Thanks for the idea.

Sincerely,
beak.

17-11-2016 18:13:02  #6

Fuuny!  The OP has asterisks where I thought I'd typed 'shift' - must have been an embarrassing typo obliterated by the 'no crude words' software!

Sincerely,
beak.

17-11-2016 21:58:35  #7

beak wrote:

Fuuny!  The OP has asterisks where I thought I'd typed 'shift' - must have been an embarrassing typo obliterated by the 'no crude words' software!

I had taken it as deliberate humor expressing your feelings about the thing, though apparently it was Freudian humor. A colleague made an identical error regarding "the **** supervisors" - same base. When I pointed it out his reply was "A typo - or is it?"

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

17-11-2016 22:02:45  #8

You know, I was thinking that a T-shirt with a reproduction of the Smith-Corona "Floating Shift" logo (seen on postwar machines) would be a neat thing -- sort of an in-joke for the typosphere. But I realized that it'd be too easy to make fun of, if the f in "shift" were removed.

18-11-2016 03:33:03  #9

Stab in the dark: is it a problem with the lubrication of the rails that the segment travels on?

18-11-2016 05:34:45  #10

drowth wrote:

Stab in the dark: is it a problem with the lubrication of the rails that the segment travels on?

I did look at these components, and did spray a little lubricant at them.  It certainly feels as though there is a friction problem somewhere which, when overcome by the touch of the finger allows the segment to rise normally.  I shall look at this area again next session - but since it appears to be one of those systems where ball bearings are trapped between separate components, I'm not game to take them apart!
Looking again at this area, I'm beginning to wonder if such ball-bearing slides are not intended to be oiled at all -  they appear to be well oiled at present.  Does anyone know?  Perhaps removing the lubrication they presently have by using a degreaser or some such would improve matters.
Thank for the suggested area on investigation.

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera