You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-9-2013 20:51:41  #1

Keychopper Alerts

Another keychopper rears his ugly head: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/151130120667?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The Royal Arrow is a fantastic machine and is highly collectable, so it certainly deserves a better fate than this. I took the time to send this eBay seller a message explaining how disgusted I was by his auction. Thankfully, he's asking a lot of money for the keys, a lot more than most of those bobble makers are willing to pay, so it's probably safe - for now.

There are so many chopped keys already available on eBay that it seems like supply has outstripped demand. Of course that won't stop these knuckleheads from trying to make a quick buck (not much of one either) by destroying a classic typewriter.

UPDATE: Remarkably, the seller returned my message and was quite pleasant despite my stern comments about keychopping. It turns out that he wanted to chop the keys because he thought the machine was unsellable because it didn't smell good. I explained that musty smells are the norm for old machines and gave him a few tips on getting rid of them. With any luck he'll relist it as a complete machine now; I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because I really do love the Arrow.

Last edited by Uwe (25-9-2013 22:01:37)

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-9-2013 16:38:24  #2

Re: Keychopper Alerts

I just sent him another smackdown. Maybe we'll tame these pillagers eventually.

26-9-2013 21:26:01  #3

I can smell the smoke from the torches and hear the clatter of the pitch forks now...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-9-2013 20:33:23  #4

I had a chat with this seller too.  He was genuinely unaware of the value of the machine, or of the possibility that it could work or that anyone would want it. I gave some advice about removing any odours, which he is investigating.  I believe he will be listing the whole machine soon.

Let's not be too hard; none of us know it all, and he seems to be responding to the new information.

Sincerely,
beak.

30-9-2013 00:13:11  #5

He sent me an email stating that he was changing the listing to sell the entire machine, not just the keys. I wish it was this easy to save every typewriter.

I also warned him that he might not find a buyer at that price. The most I've paid for an Arrow or Quiet Deluxe was $50, and that was only because the Arrow was in great condition. If he was closer I'd make an offer because when you include shipping it's way overpriced.

30-9-2013 01:47:46  #6

Nice work, guys. 

It's good to hear that these beautiful machines are being saved by dedicated collectors and appreciators. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

02-11-2016 11:35:55  #7

I encourage everyone to send this keychopper a message - I already have.

The auction description is nauseating:

In nice used condition as per the picture ..you will only receive the keys as they will be cut of the manual typewriter...shipping is too expensive from Canada for the whole machine...add this to your vintage typewriter keys collection........ shipping will be $5.00 from Canada to anywhere in North America and I SHIP WORLDWIDE..

The machine is apparently in good condition, and his reason for chopping its keys is that shipping the entire machine would be too expensive. Isn't that up to a buyer to decide? I doubt that he's even looked into shipping costs for the machine.

02-11-2016 12:09:21  #8

Done.

Sincerely,
beak.

02-11-2016 15:03:27  #9

I´ve sent my message as well. Let´s hope the machine can be saved...

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

03-11-2016 06:51:26  #10

Had a reply from this herbert saying that he sells over 50 of these sets of keys every year at 50 USD each.  Anyone believe that?

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera