You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-12-2016 06:11:56  #1

FS: Olympia SG1 (and others)

Hi,

Recently a neighbor died and in a more spontaneous than planned action I bought the small collection of typewriters his heir sold and would otherwise have just been thrown into communal waste recycling. Now I sit on a number of typewriters that I don't really have a use for, and am going to sell them here over time once I managed (or failed) to restore them to at least an acceptable working condition.

First off, the full list of typewriters I have acquired is available online here: http://files.guelkerdev.de/misc/Schreibmaschinen/List-EN.pdf

Probably the only one that as of now works mostly is an Olympia SG1. I saw we already have an SG owner's club, so I thought starting with this one is appropriate.

Here's a photo:

Typeface:

Even more photos for your viewing pleasure: http://files.guelkerdev.de/misc/Schreibmaschinen/Olympia_SG1/

The serial number of this machine is 7-353706, which the typewriter database dates to 1958. The machine has occasionally problems with the backspace key, and I managed to lose a screw when I opened the case in search for the serial number (before I found out one can remove the carriage easily). The machine has been standing on a shelf probably for years. I have cleaned it from the dust and spiders in and on it mostly.

Feel free to ask any questions. I suggest a price of 30 Euros plus shipping costs to wherever you live (beware, the machine is heavy), but I am willing to take other suggestions. Just PM me.

Greetings
Marvin

03-12-2016 08:28:28  #2

Re: FS: Olympia SG1 (and others)

Sirius, when you post a notice of machines for sale, please tell us what part of the world they are located in---at least what corner of which State, Province, Canton, or Region. This is a big consideration for potential buyers.

I infer you are in [what we know as] Germany but many people will not recognize .de and, to apply the idea to the US, the drive to pick them up could vary from 3 miles (x km) to 3,000 miles (y km). 

Thanks for offering these!

03-12-2016 10:26:12  #3

I'm sorry. I thought it is clear from the "From" notice in the author info of the post.

The machine (like all others) is located in Unna, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.

03-12-2016 11:22:21  #4

sirius wrote:

I'm sorry. I thought it is clear from the "From" notice in the author info of the post....

You are right though I am an example of how easy that is to overlook compared to the message itself and even within Germany the range could be 5 km to 500 km. My plea was to everybody, of course, not just you. Thanks.

03-12-2016 14:34:00  #5

sirius wrote:

I suggest a price of 30 Euros plus shipping costs to wherever you live (beware, the machine is heavy), but I am willing to take other suggestions.

Thanks for offering those machines here, Marvin. If it wasn't for the shipping costs (and the very weak Canadian dollar), I would certainly want a few of those machines. Good luck with selling them, and I hope they all end up in good homes. Just one note: the Montana you have listed is definitely not from the 1930s. My guess would be that it was manufactured during the 1960s.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-12-2016 11:36:19  #6

"Uwe" wrote:

Just one note: the Montana you have listed is definitely not from the 1930s. My guess would be that it was manufactured during the 1960s.

You are right. This comes from blindly copying some info from the typewriter database because "it fits the serial number" (91652). Of course, such a design does not match the 1930ies and far better fits the 60ies as you say.

Appearently it is one of the models listed at the end of the table on the typewriter database, which leads to this post in the references. Judging from the pictures in that post this is a 3rd iteration Montana. The second picture in the 3rd iteration paragraph (the "Packard") looks just like my machine with another label on it. I'll update my list with that information.

The Montana was in a leather bag for carrying it around, but sadly, there was no manual in that bag.

Board footera