You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-12-2016 06:51:25  #1

Help needed - old Remington typewriter

Hi all,

Last week I found an old (60ies?) Remington typewriter in the attic. Of course I immediately went on a quest to find out all there is to know about it, which proved not to be very easy. For instance, the S/N is NJ 177389, I can't find a Remington with this serial number (or any serial number starting with NJ for that matter) anywhere.

There's a picture below this message if I don't mess up. What do you all know about this machine (age, worth etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

merrick
- The Netherlands

30-12-2016 07:17:14  #2

Re: Help needed - old Remington typewriter

I'm pretty sure it's 60s or 70s.

Not worth THAT much... $50-$100 at the most in my opinion. Besides this however, they are wonderful for typing if you don't care about value.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

30-12-2016 07:29:04  #3

Cheers TypewriterGuy!
Do you know what type of Remington it is?

30-12-2016 14:46:49  #4

merrick wrote:

Do you know what type of Remington it is?

It's a Remington Model 24, most likely manufactured in November 1965. The prefix is often a country code; does it state anywhere on the machine's case where it was made? The 'N' could represent 'Netherlands' (or even the NJ for that matter). For example, my Model 24 was manufactured in Canada and the prefix begins with 'C'.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-1-2017 16:09:50  #5

Maybe NJ stands for 'New Jersy'  ?

05-1-2017 06:01:57  #6

Remington was parsimonious with their model numbers. First they crept up from 1 to 12 in their petty pace then in a fit of marketing extravagance leaped to 20, 30, even 50 and 60! Horrified by what had been done they went back to 17 and put begrudged a mere 24 to one of the last. "You young Turks don't realize just how much goes into a model number" said the old guard. But what about the named Super-Riter? It sneaked in as an overgrown portable.

The Remington 17 and the B-17 bomber would have rolled out around the same time and the first Super-Riters do not seem to have been labeled Super(man) so they were not above hitching a ride on a popular name.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

05-1-2017 18:28:54  #7

merrick wrote:

Hi all,

Last week I found an old (60ies?) Remington typewriter in the attic. Of course I immediately went on a quest to find out all there is to know about it, which proved not to be very easy. For instance, the S/N is NJ 177389, I can't find a Remington with this serial number (or any serial number starting with NJ for that matter) anywhere.

There's a picture below this message if I don't mess up. What do you all know about this machine (age, worth etc.)?

I wouldn't mind having a typewriter like that. The plastic casing mey be iffy, but the touch is PHENOMINAL. I serviced one a long time ago, and let me tell you, I almost didn't want to let it go!!

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

06-1-2017 02:42:09  #8

For $50 + shipping it's yours 

08-1-2017 00:05:36  #9

I may take you up on it when I find I can spare a C-note for the total expense.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

16-1-2017 07:04:18  #10

Since I rather give it to someone who actually cares about typewriters than sell it to some hustler I'm willing to give you the typewriter for free. It would only cost you shipping.

Board footera