You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-1-2017 11:28:45  #1

FS: Erika 10 typewriter closing 8 p.m. PST Jan 2, 2017 on eBay

I have an Erika 10 typewriter closing this evening, Monday, on eBay. I'm the only person who ever used it, for a few years only. Please email with any questions. 

Search eBay for "Beautiful Erika 10 Typewriter"

Thanks for your interest!

02-1-2017 12:19:11  #2

Re: FS: Erika 10 typewriter closing 8 p.m. PST Jan 2, 2017 on eBay

I'm very surprised that someone bid $160 (not including shipping or the potential perils it will have to survive) for the machine, but then again I often don't understand the mindset of typewriter buyers. Congratulations, by my evaluation I think you did very well with your auction.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-1-2017 12:29:20  #3

I've seen similar machines, not in as good condition, and without all the extras including manual, go for substantially more. Other than a totally unused machine, how could you ask for more on this one? The auction hasn't closed yet so I predict it will go higher.

02-1-2017 14:21:59  #4

scripo wrote:

I've seen similar machines, not in as good condition, and without all the extras including manual, go for substantially more.

Where? There is often a chasm between the asking price for a typewriter and what it actually sells for. No doubt there are people out there who are willing to spend - for one reason or another - what I consider to be far too much money on a typewriter. Your auction is proof of that, and if the bids continue to go up as you predict, my jaw will continue to drop proportionally in disbelief.

I've bought many machines that were in pristine condition that included all of the associated cleaning tools, manuals and quality control sheets, and I didn't even pay half of what you're getting for your machine, so once again, congratulations. In my opinion you did quite well.  

scripo wrote:

Other than a totally unused machine, how could you ask for more on this one?

How little or infrequently a machine was used doesn't automatically increase its value. A brand new typewriter that sat untouched for sixty years can be in much worse condition than a comparable model that was regularly used. For example, storage conditions and the state of components that naturally deteriorate over time such as rubber can adversely effect a typewriter's value. I've seen many a machine that was hiding a mechanical nightmare under its pretty, immaculate paint, and as many here can attest, it only takes something as simple as a set of flattened feed rollers to take the sheen off buying a so-called pristine machine.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-1-2017 15:56:55  #5

Take a look at completed auctions on eBay. There are 2 sold Erika 10 machines. One went for $179 plus shipping from Poland and the other went for $185 with damaged case. Neither has documentation mentioned. When I was writing up the auction, I found one that went for $235 about 3 years ago, again without documentation. Most collectors, if you believe the Antiques Roadshow, consider paperwork to be very important. I can't find an Erika 10 manual online and I can't find another original hand-typed and hand-signed certification of quality...

You are of course correct that a machine may rust out when stored improperly. That's why I mentioned where it was kept and that it types nicely.

I'll hate to see it go but I'll still have my way older Triumph that works perfectly!

03-1-2017 07:52:35  #6

A stunning looking machine.  I very much favour cream-coloured TWs, and would doubtless have tried a bid myself, had I seen it.

Sincerely,
beak.

29-1-2017 22:41:19  #7

Saw a picture of one.  Nice travel-buddy-size!!

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera