You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-10-2013 14:12:50  #1

Smith-Corona (but not a typewriter)

Greetings All

I'm not sure if this post even belongs on this forum, however I'll post it anyway:

The other day I picked up a Smith-Corona adding machine with the 60 injection moulded keys. Does anyone here know if there is another forum that deals with adding machines and the like, or know where one might find the serial number on this unit and if it can be dated. An operators manual would also be very handy. Thanks and all the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

07-10-2013 16:17:58  #2

Re: Smith-Corona (but not a typewriter)

I did find this http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/mechanical_calculators.html  It might be a start for you.  I'm guessing that your machine is actually a Marchant.  Smith-Corona merged with Marchant around the late 1950's/early 1960's and became Smith-Corona-Marchant.  That's why '60's/70's Smith-Coronas always have the 'SCM' logo.  Hope this helps !

07-10-2013 23:52:39  #3

skywatcher wrote:

I'm not sure if this post even belongs on this forum, however I'll post it anyway:

I wonder if we should create a new sub-forum for all other platen and key machines? What would it cover? Adding machines, calculators, and teletypers? I'm sure there are others that I'm missing.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-10-2013 02:59:28  #4

It's not my particular passion, although I did used to repair them back in the day.  But why not ?  They are as much a part of the vintage office scene as typewiters !

09-10-2013 09:16:36  #5

Uwe wrote:

skywatcher wrote:

I wonder if we should create a new sub-forum for all other platen and key machines? What would it cover? Adding machines, calculators, and teletypers? I'm sure there are others that I'm missing.

Stock-tickers?

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

Board footera