You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-1-2017 10:50:38  #1

Main spring lost tension -- drilling a hole to strengthen it

Hi everyone,

so I have started some more serious work on my typewriters and am currently focusing on that Brother DeLuxe 1300, whose carriage was movable by hand but did not advance by itself. After inspecting, unscrewing, cleaning everything (there was a lot of old oil in that machine) I finally unscrewed the main spring drum and opened it. Well, the main spring had detached from the drum. I reattached it, and the carriage moves a little, but not much. Thus, the main spring has appearently lost the tension it used to have.

The main spring is long enough to shorten it and drill a hole a little further up to strengthen the entire thing a little. However, I have failed to drill that hole. This small thing is incredibly hard. After several attemps I was able to create a tiny hole, but not enough for the drum's hook to fit through. Here's a picture of the spring:

Any idea how I can get that hole in there? Or do you have another suggestion how to fasten it to the drum's shaft?

Greetings
sirius

07-1-2017 15:35:38  #2

Re: Main spring lost tension -- drilling a hole to strengthen it

I'm not expert but my guess is that spring is tempered steel. You could probably hit the spot you want to drill with a propane torch long enough to get it a bright orange. Then drill the hole. After you are done with the hole, torch it again until it is cherry red (a dark red, not bright), then dunk it in either water, or transmission fluid (most things are quenched in hot oil, but water should be fine in this case). After you have quenched it, heat it again until it turns a dark blue. The blue will come about fairly quickly, so be prepared for it. After is has blued, set it aside and let it slowly air cool.

The first step will soften the metal. The last two steps will re-temper it. Hope this helps.

My "Collection" 
1947 Patria
1962 Underwood TouchMaster Five
1983 Adler Meteor 12

07-1-2017 15:39:10  #3

Should have said, after you bring it to a bright orange, let it air cool, and you will need to clean the metal inbetween heatings with some fine sandpaper or something.

My "Collection" 
1947 Patria
1983 Adler Meteor 12

07-1-2017 15:50:28  #4

Sorry for all the replies, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to edit my posts. Anyway, I don't know if you have any of tools to do this suggestion or not, but if you go this route, be advised that when the spring is heated to a bright orange the metal will become VERY soft, and can buckle under its own weight, so it's best if you could have just that portion in a bench vise or something, so when you heat it it will not have the added stress of the weight of the spring pulling on it. Hope this makes sense.

My "Collection" 
1947 Patria
1983 Adler Meteor 12

08-1-2017 12:38:04  #5

Okay, thank you for your answer. Since I'm not a native English speaker: You are referring to a Bunsen burner for the heating, are you? Not that I'm going to use something inappropriate because I misunderstood you.

I currently don't own one, but I'll see what I can do and whether some friend has one.

In any case, this sounds doable and not too complicated. I should probably not do it on my wooden work table, though.

Greetings
sirius

08-1-2017 16:23:40  #6

I was referring to one of these a "Propane Torch" here in the US. If the Bunsen Burner is capable of heating the metal to the appropriate colors, then it should work fine as well.

You might want to wait a little and see if anyone else had some suggestions, there might be a better way. One thing I suggest though is to find a piece of metal similar in thickness and practice with it, so you can see the color changes. For the "blue" you can move the torch or burner to "chase" the color.

This is not at all a critical application, so I wouldn't worry too much about messing it up. Hacksaw blades, coping saw blades, or any other thin metal like that are perfect to practice on once you sand the paint off of them. When you apply heat to metal there is a rainbow of colors that occur. Some come about fast, others are slower if you do not have adequate heat. You can tell if you have reached the right color bright orange because a magnet will not be attracted to it, metal actually loses its magnetic properties at that heat. You should not need a magnet though, as any temperatures near that color should break the temper and soften the metal enough for you to drill a hole in it.

Metallurgy and blacksmithing have always fascinated me. The entire process of softening, hardening and annealing basically rearranges the microscopic crystalline structure of the metal. If the metal is soft, it will bend. If the metal is left hard, it will shatter easily (like a file). Once annealed, it has both properties of being hard, yet it will give a little so it won't break.

My "Collection" 
1947 Patria
1983 Adler Meteor 12

08-1-2017 21:24:25  #7

I have a very bad tendency to over-complicate things. If you have a friend with a drill press then you can skip the whole heat treatment. Just use plenty of oil so it doesn't get hot, and to help lubricate. Drill at a slow speed. Be sure to use a metal cutting drill bit and not a wood only one.

My "Collection" 
1947 Patria
1983 Adler Meteor 12

10-1-2017 16:15:30  #8

I think it is easier/cheaper to get hold of a propane torch than of a drill press. I have just started my endevour in typewriter repairs and thus am lacking all those cool tools you guys have...

I'll try your earlier suggestion and report back whether I was successful or burned my flat down. ;-)

Thank you for your tips!
sirius

02-2-2017 15:25:07  #9

Okay, I did go through the process and I managed to create this hole. Was a fairly interesting experience (thank you again for the instructions!), though the amount of work required is probably going to prevent me from doing it again. However, now I have another problem. The spring's tension is now so high that the hole always jumps off the hook on the drum. Man, I'm not going to fiddle with these main springs anymore...

02-2-2017 18:40:44  #10

I remember way back early in my "career" as a typewriter hobbyist.  I was working with a 1936 Remington Noiseless portable, and had the same problem.  I could NOT get that spring to stay on no matter what I did!!  I'm beginning to think that once it's broken, you might as well get another spring drum out of a junker.  But having this problem is a rarity--in fact, that one was the only time a spring drum gave me trouble.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera