You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-1-2017 21:52:13  #1

Underwood Touchmaster II ribbon replacement

This seems like such a basic question, but I have scoured the internet for instructions or videos and so far am coming up with nada.  I would like to replace the ribbon on my new/old Underwood Touchmaster II and so acquired a new black ribbon from Swartz Ink.  Problem is the old spools don't just lift off and they instead are held down by what I saw described in one YouTube video as the old Underwood 150 flange.  It's a fascinating little mechanism that holds the spool down and I can't figure out how to release it or remove the old spools.  I've attached a picture in case anyone has run across this type (a pic of both the old ribbon on the machine and the new spool that I hope to install).  I suppose finding an original manual would be a good thing for this and future issues, so if anyone can point me to where I might find one, that would be great too.  Thanks for any help or advice.

11-1-2017 18:06:07  #2

Re: Underwood Touchmaster II ribbon replacement

If it seems like the ribbon spools are being held down, something is just stuck.  A few drops of tranny fluid down the middle of the ribbon spool mechanisms, plus the exercising of the little tabs that go inside of the
ribbon spools to lubricate the toggle links should help you release the spools.  Just a gentle upward pull should be all that is needed.  Make sure how the ribbon winds on the ribbon--the left spool should rotate clockwise @ takeup while the right side goes the opposite direction @ takeup.  The ribbon should go through into the vibrator quite easily when you pinch the top tabs together and open it up. 

As for that universal spool.  All you have to do is pull out the core and you can use it, if it is the only spool you have.  You can still fairly easily find two metal flanged spools--several brands of typewriters, as well as portables, uprights, and upright electrics, use it fairly commonly.  Underwoods and Remingtons stateside use it, and I have seen some makes of Imperials use it.  Good luck, and let me know how you come out.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

11-1-2017 18:30:47  #3

Thank you for responding!  The little eyelets that the spools fit over had me flummoxed, that they had some role in ribbon replacement.  The spools lifted off without problem once I tried that.  I was able to thread the new ribbon through the vibrator with relative ease and my new/old machine's type is looking much richer now.  I wish I could find more about this model of Underwood - I find lots on the older machines but not much on the Touchmaster - especially the TM II. I found a supposed manual for it, but there was no preview to validate any authenticity and the site wanted $40 for it - that';s what I paid for the machine!  I may take her over to Ft. Worth to a guy I found that works on old machines just to clean and oil her up real good, but she works pretty well already and I hate to potentially muck something up that isn't already broken.  Thanks again.
Bart

11-1-2017 21:05:10  #4

In February, 1959, Olivetti bought a controlling interest in Underwood Typewriter Company, or Underwood Corporation.  At the same time it first had influence over the design and features of the Underwood typewriters--portable, manual, and electric.  The Underwood Touch-Master II was the manual upright of this "new" family.  It was the first Underwood since the 1945 Rhythm Touch machines to have only one shift lock key--only it was situated on the left hand side instead of the right, as were the older machines.  Also, this was the first Underwood to adopt an 88-character keyboard.  Some say the styling is smoother than the older Golden-Touch and 150 machines, while others simply call it more "slab-sided."  The touch control, ribbon reverse and ribbon selectors were all recessed within the button-actuated front cover in the earliest models, whereas the ribbon selector switch peeked out the right side on the latter models. 

Other than that, these machines were mechanically identical to the "Golden Touch" series--which used a  unique mechanism to drive the ribbon mechanism:  The escapement wheel has a gear on the front of it, which drives another bevel gear on a perpendicular shaft.  On the other end of this shaft is a sprocket which drives a chain, and this chain drives a larger sprocket down below and toward the front. This sprocket drives the ribbon mechanism, which was formerly driven by a ratchet mechanism built lower on the other machines.  The shifting and spacing mechanisms operate with fewer parts than did the 150 machines--presumably so to realize manufacturing economies--but the quality and the longevity of the machines hasn't suffered to any great degree.

I happen to own one of these Touch-Master beauties--it's one of the early 1959 models.  It was my mother's last upright typewriter, and I am not ever going to part with it.

11-1-2017 21:18:38  #5

Thanks for the background.  My ribbon selector peeks out of the right side, so I guess I have one of the newer models.  Is that tall bar to the left of the touch control the ribbon reverse? So, when the ribbon hits the end of the right spool, I flip the ribbon reverse and it goes the other way until the left is empty again? I found a guy in Portland that had some extra ribbons covers, which is the only things I've found missing or damaged on this machine. 

11-1-2017 22:47:38  #6

You may have either a later 1959 or a 1960 model.  Let me know what you find on the typewriter database.  The serial number should be on the right hand side just below where the platen travels.  The ribbon reverse lever shouldn't have to be flipped at all unless you're installing the ribbon.  The machine, as with all "modern" typewriters, has an automatic ribbon reverse, and will reverse its travel (if all is within adjustment) in the other direction once one direction has reached its end.

27-1-2017 09:54:43  #7

I got the new ribbon installed and the type now is suitably dark...every once in awhile a letter will be faint at the top, but I think it adds to it's character and I can certainly live with it.  
The serial number of my machine is 8474572.  I don't find ANY serial numbers for Touchmastr IIs on the typewriter database, so I am still on the quest to know about the age of my machine...we're peers I think (my BD is '60).
Have you a manual? for either the Touchmaster II or 5?  A repair manual would be great, but I don't seem to find many machines OR interest in these "newer" models.  

27-1-2017 13:33:08  #8

holein8 wrote:

I am still on the quest to know about the age of my machine...

8474572 = 1960

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-1-2017 23:20:01  #9

holein8 wrote:

I got the new ribbon installed and the type now is suitably dark...every once in awhile a letter will be faint at the top, but I think it adds to it's character and I can certainly live with it.  
The serial number of my machine is 8474572.  I don't find ANY serial numbers for Touchmastr IIs on the typewriter database, so I am still on the quest to know about the age of my machine...we're peers I think (my BD is '60).
Have you a manual? for either the Touchmaster II or 5?  A repair manual would be great, but I don't seem to find many machines OR interest in these "newer" models.  

Office Machines Americana has such a manual.  Trouble is, this thing will cost you $39.00 for the privilege of owning one.

17-11-2018 12:33:54  #10

I am a new member to Typewriter Talk -- and a relatively new typewriter user.  I was gifted my Great Aunt's 1951 Underwood Rhythm Touch Deluxe.  Although she had stored it carefully for the past 40 years... I sent it out for a thorough cleaning and tune-up by one of (the only?) remaining typewriter repair guy in Toronto.  I am not exactly sure what he did ... but it seems to work reasonably well and I have been using it every few days for the past few months. Trouble it is randomly skips. The repair man said it was an operator problem, i.e. learn to type.  But I also own a Royal, a Smith Corona and an Ollivetti -- which I type on, and they don't skip. There seems to be no regular pattern or consistency to the skipping.   Could it have something to do with "escapement"? and can this be adjusted to resolve the problem?   Many thanks for sharing your typewriter wisdom.

Board footera