You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-1-2017 22:58:57  #1

The World's Most Expensive Typewriter Ever

I asked a question on another forum dealing with what the most expensive typewriter out there is or was.  Folks, sit down, hold onto your hats, and brace yourselves, because you're not going to believe this:  The world's most expensive typewriter ever sold is an Olivetti Lettera 32 manual portable typewriter.  It was owned by author Cormac McCarthy--who wrote "All the Pretty Horses," "No Country for Old Men," & "The Road."  The machine is obviously weatherbeaten and looked like it had a rather heavily used life.  McCarthy bought this typewriter for $50 back in 1963.  See #6.

https://financesonline.com/10-most-expensive-writing-instruments-in-the-world/

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

14-1-2017 23:00:28  #2

Re: The World's Most Expensive Typewriter Ever

By the way, I forgot the most important part:  This machine, this unassuming looking little portable sold for $254,500 @ auction.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

14-1-2017 23:49:20  #3

The most expensive typewriter I've ever seen listed on eBay is just a penny shy of $10k

IBM Model B Special

Looks about identical to mine - same color, same carriage length - but with that little extra wiring harness snaking in the back. Also some characters now standard on computer keyboards but uncommon on typewriters.

Oh yes, you must pick it up in the Netherlands.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

15-1-2017 14:12:57  #4

http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=6235#p6235

It would be more interesting to know which models are the most expensive in terms of their value as a typewriter instead of an expensive piece of memorabilia  (anyone crazy enough to spend that much on a Lettera probably would have spent as much for the man's underwear). A candidate for that category has to be Hansen's 'writing ball' which I've read easily clears the $100k mark at auction.

Last edited by Uwe (15-1-2017 14:13:35)

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-1-2017 09:55:26  #5

TypewriterKing wrote:

By the way, I forgot the most important part: This machine, this unassuming looking little portable sold for $254,500 @ auction.

Don´t say it too loud! Maybe some... overconfident seller could get the impression all the Lettera 32´s are worth at least several thousand euros / dollars / whatever. If that one reached 254K, why should I sell it at 20 € like the rest of the world? I´m smarter than da rest, I got... entrerprising cultchor or somezing.

But... If I follow that rule I have over a million € in Lettera 32´s at home. I´m awfully rich!

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

16-1-2017 13:40:20  #6

I read somewhere that McCarthy then went out and replaced the Olivetti with another one that he got for $20.

Uwe asks a good question. Seems like the Hermes 3000 commands a premium price, but I'm not sure why. 

17-1-2017 18:30:54  #7

Fleetwing wrote:

Seems like the Hermes 3000 commands a premium price, but I'm not sure why. 

Lingering effect of the sexy models Hermes used to advertise them when they were new?

From my limited experience they are pleasing to type on, they have a distinctive look, and they have a good tolerance for neglect and even abuse and still produce high quality output. OK, I doubt many people think that way but I have several that did not command a premium price and had some defects, but none of these defects affected their fundamental performance as a typewriter. I believe several writers have revealed them as their machine of choice so all the other kids want to be cool like them -- that could be a factor.

07-2-2017 02:16:12  #8

I read somewhere that author Samual Clemmens aka Mark Twain paid something over $200,000 for one of the first (I want to say production models) of an early manufacturer.
I seem to recall he was happy enough with it.
I don't know if the money amount was what he actually paid or if the price was 'adjusted for inflation' as they say.
Still, that is a lot of money for something as unknown as the typewriter was at the time.

07-2-2017 04:44:41  #9

For $200,000 in the 1870's or 80's he likely could have bought the whole darn factory!  Even adjusted for inflation it seems high: maybe his typewriter sold for that much at one point?  if it's still in existence it probably is even more valuable today.

I've seen a facsimile of one of the letters he wrote on the thing -- he's still going on about his new toy in the letter -- and it's pure Mark Twain.

07-2-2017 11:18:08  #10

Clemens invested $300,000 (including much of his wife's inheritance) in the Paige Compositor, which lost out to Merganthaler Linotype in the mechanized typesetting race. That's about $6 million in today's money.
He had to go out on the lecture circuit in his old age to make up, partially, for the loss. 

Board footera