You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-1-2017 19:13:24  #1

Typing at work

There have been threads about "what do you use your typewriters for?" and threads about "where are typewriters still used in the workplace?", but has there been a thread about the intersection?

I used an Adler Tippa today to fill out a form at work which I have no editable soft copy of and it generally filled out by hand. In other words, a perfect candidate for typing. After I got warned up it was a kick to think I was typing and working as a wage slave simultaneously! Used to be a bit more common in the past but less common in the contemporary US. Authors may type and get paid for it but that's not quite the same thing as being a good old wage slave, now is it?

Several people signed the original and seemed to see only the content and not find anything unusual about it, then I scanned the result and emailed it to other people - no comment yet. Maybe they think I produced it on a printer? Very authentic looking typewriter font, I tell you, complete with strike-overs and uneven line spacing! I hope I never get an editable soft copy.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

19-1-2017 22:02:21  #2

Re: Typing at work

I have used typewriters to fill out forms such as maintenance requests, work orders, SOPs, and  suggestion forms.  I have even typed out job applications before.  In most places I have worked, others have known that typewriters and typing are my hobbies, and a lot of them were surprised to see something on a form typewritten when usually it is handwritten.  In fact, many were glad to finally see a legible rendition for once. 

Yes, I have brought some of my own machines to past jobs I have held--even if just to show them off, or show off my prowess in being able to use them.  I have had mixed reviews, but mostly they were impressed to know there was at least someone who still knows this "lost art,"  as many of them have described it.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

19-1-2017 22:19:57  #3

Oh, yes, I almost forgot--my first job back when I was 17.  There was a utility room filled with no less than 10 no longer used typewriters.  The owner of the building said I could fix each one, and he would pay me for each one I fixed.  I was taking home at least one a week.  A year or two later, they had a sale in which several of these machines were available.  I should have bought one, even if just for a memento!  Oh, darn!!

20-1-2017 06:34:06  #4

Another odd thing is that while typewriters have virtually disappeared from the American workplace their collective memory lives on so the sound of typing may not seem immediately out of place -- though there may be a double take. Most have at least seen movies with offices with a background of typewriter sounds.

Nobody is using my Tippa but if there is interest I have a few portables I would not miss.

20-1-2017 07:13:10  #5

Yesterday I used an Olivetti Valentine S to make an order list for the pharmacy I work at.
Thing is I use typewriters if I have enough time and a long enough assignment, a fountain pen for quick notes and a pinwheel calculator instead of the dull one in my cell phone.

People usually freak out. The postman with the fountain pen, many people say "they have one just like that at home" referring to the 3-bank Senta I have at the counter, but what really takes the cake is the calculator. People find it funny, and always ask if that coffee mill doesn´t make mistakes.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

20-1-2017 20:28:46  #6

Somebody finally asked me "how did you type that in?", meaning fill out the form! That would seem to be its own answer but at least it shows the verb "type" is alive and well in its new sense to enter text via a keyboard and "keyboarding" is as linguistically dead as the pedants who created it. My answer of course could only be "I used a typewriter".  

20-1-2017 20:50:40  #7

Repartee wrote:

Somebody finally asked me "how did you type that in?", meaning fill out the form! That would seem to be its own answer but at least it shows the verb "type" is alive and well in its new sense to enter text via a keyboard and "keyboarding" is as linguistically dead as the pedants who created it. My answer of course could only be "I used a typewriter".  

Part of the answer would be in the use of the variable line spacer.  First, you have to test the typewriter you're using by typing a series of, say, lerrer i's or l's, and see how they line up with the line scale.  You can either adjust your line scale to the very bottoms of the letters, or remember where the line scale sits in relation to the bottoms of the letters--I prefer to do the former.  That way, I don't have to memorize--too many things to remember as it is--like sooo many blankety-blank passwords for everything computerized now. 

21-1-2017 21:11:58  #8

TypewriterKing wrote:

Part of the answer would be in the use of the variable line spacer. First, you have to test the typewriter you're using by typing a series of, say, lerrer i's or l's, and see how they line up with the line scale. You can either adjust your line scale to the very bottoms of the letters, or remember where the line scale sits in relation to the bottoms of the letters--I prefer to do the former. That way, I don't have to memorize--too many things to remember as it is--like sooo many blankety-blank passwords for everything computerized now.

Took me a while to get that, then I understood you meant adjusting a part of the typewriter not normally considered user adjustable. Since this is the only typewriter I am using to fill out forms I might just memorize the height above the line scale - I would think having the bottom of the letters exactly on the scale would be annoying for general typing. 

As for passwords, I have a few key ones which I do not write down, and when some annoying site that I am not likely to visit often demands I set up an account I make up some gobbledygook password and write it down in a little notebook. There are pluses and minuses to this approach, to me the greatest risk is that a smaller site will be hacked and lose the password database, and this way the hacker would not be able to use the password to compromise any other account of mine.  For the same reason I never give sites it would not be substantially damaging to lose access to the name of my first pet or the street I grew up on.

21-1-2017 21:49:12  #9

It's not so bad, really, having the bottom of the scale lining up with the bottoms of the letters once you get used to it.  The only place you'll see this is on either side of where the type bars hit, and there's a pretty wide area there in the middle.  If I need to roll up the paper to see what I read, I just roll it up a few clicks, read, and roll it back again.  If it's close to the end of the paper and I mess up the alignment there (which has been very often), I can just readjust the paper to where somewhere I can see the bottoms of the letters touch the top of the scale, and I'm all right again.  But then, that's just me--as I see it, memorizing the space between the letters and the scale does just as good.  I've done it that way before.

As for the gobbledygook, I think that's a pretty smart idea in not using things like the first pet or the street you grew up on.  It's a safe bet I'll never use the word Matuschanskayasky, so Walter Matthau's real last name is out.

21-1-2017 23:08:50  #10

I'm a college professor, so I sometimes use a typewriter to write official letters of correspondence, or type-up final comments on student research papers. In years past, I'd also use my USB-typewriter occasionally to break-up the monotony of typing on my laptop. The noise is cathartic. But I'm up for tenure this year, so I've tried really hard not to piss off my senior colleagues up and down the hallways with my noise. So Wednesday, for instance, when I was about to make some noise on my old Underwood 5, I hauled it down the hall to the department office (since the secretaries there don't vote on tenure.) 

Still, one of my newer colleagues saw me and said she "just had to ask" what it was that I was doing, so I explained. 
"Wow, it must be really convenient to have a typewriter in your office for that," she replied. 
"Actually, I have eight of them in my office"....

Board footera