You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-1-2017 10:59:05  #1

REVIEW - 1936 Continental Silenta

This is my first review, so I´ve chosen a typewriter I like a lot. They say the most important step in a journey is the first one, for without it there´s no journey. Okey, it´s a Baldur´s Gate II quote, but it fits, right? Moving on to the review...

The Continental Silenta is the ultimate noiseless typewriter. A strong statement? Maybe, but maybe not because it has the power. The power to awe you with top-notch engineering!

This model was built from 1934 to 1943, and it´s (in my opinion, of course) the finest attempt at not drilling your ears with thunderous noise when typing. Noiseless typewriters are twice as complex as regular machines, which is troublesome. There are many more things that can go wrong, but if you can get everything right these typewriters are simply wonderful. The Continental Silenta is certainly stylish, but it´s a great display of good engineering. No other noiseless typewriter is as beautiful, and in addition it doesn´t sacrifice any performance.

I got this machine on march / april 2015, but it didn´t revive until september. The seller didn´t point out that the typewriter needed a complete overhaul. By looking at it, it should be in pristine condition: Original wooden box, dust cover and shiny, but inside it there was trouble. It was completely jammed, and I didn´t dare to dismantle it. This was a huge disappointment, because I trusted the seller, from whom I got two typewriters before: an Orga Privat 2 and an Olympia 8 which were perfectly fine. I wasn´t expecting this backstabbing in the night...

Then, I was in trouble. As I said before, this is a complex machine and I´m not skilled enough to fix a Silenta. I had to send it to Pascual and Alberto, and after about 4 months I got it back. This is one of my most expensive typewriters, if you put together the buying price plus the repairs. All in all it went over the 300€ mark... I am almost ashamed of that, but in the end the typewriter works and it´s one of the most beaten by my clumsy fingers.

But now, the typewriter itself. First of all, a few photos:

It comes with a lot of functions to tinker with. It´s fully equipped and intended to cover all your needs at the office. It has QWERTZ keyboard with "1" key (but no 0), ribbon colour selector, true variable line spacer (not just setting the line spacer to 0), a monstrous paper arm which tells you how many lines are left in your paper and tabulator.

The tabulator is pretty unique to Continental typewriters. As far as I know, only later Contiental Standard models share this feature. In order to set a tab, you have to press forward the tab lever, and in order to go to that tab you have to pull the lever down. It´s incredibly comfortable to use, although I have to admit I was clueless about it at first.

But the most special feature is the silent control.

You can choose between five different "noise levels", in which -1 is the most silent and 3 the theoretically deafening one. In fact, level -1 is extremely quiet. Only the escapement can be heard, but the types hit the paper a bit too softly, and even with a brand new ribbon the writing is a bit faded. This, by far, is the quietest typewriter I´ve ever seen. If you feel like making a big noise, the "3" position turns the typewriter into a quieter than normal machine. It makes noise, but less than most of typewriters. This demonstrates how well designed this typewriter is, but the typebar arrangement is far more complex than usual. Just look at this...

Keeping it finely tuned is time-consuming, but greatly rewarding. As a bonus, the noise control dial is a touch control as well. The quiteter the typing, the softer the touch.

The front glass panel is the icing on the cake. What a beautiful typewriter!

As for performance, it´s outstanding. I´m fortunate to have this machine in perfect condition (after being repaired by Pascual and Alberto, of course), so I can type as fast as my brains allow me. The machine is very sensitive, it reacts perfectly to every contact. Even if the stroke is fairly long, the lightness of the touch allows for fast typing. No need to punch the word out of the machine. Another fine detail is the bell setting. It dings far enough from the end of the line to let you realize you have to make good use of the return lever. Some typewriters have the bad habit of dinging 3 steps away from the cliff, but not this one.

PROS: Awesome performance, incredible engineering, ravishing beauty.
CONS: Obscenelly expensive, fearsome complexity.

It´s one of the best typewriters I´ve tried, for sure in the Top 5. Fielded against other standard  Pre-WW2 typewriters, it´s one of the best. If you can get one of these, go for it. It´s very pleasant to use, absolutely user-friendly... once it works. That´s the main issue: if it needs repairs, it´s going to be hard and maybe expensive. I wouldn´t recommend it if you´re looking for a fair priced typewriter which can deliver the goods, because there are easier paths to tread than that of the Continental Silenta. But hey, if you are willing to put some effort on it, it will be most rewarding.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

23-1-2017 13:53:16  #2

Re: REVIEW - 1936 Continental Silenta

Thanks for this review, Javi -- I did not know anything about this typewriter. Any chance you can post typing examples at the different touch settings?

23-1-2017 19:06:19  #3

Thanks for the review! 

Continental made fantastic machines, and although I own a few, I've never seen a Silenta in my area yet; I don't know whether that indicates that few have survived, or relatively few were exported to Canada. I suspect the later.

If you enjoy the machine as much as you described, I wouldn't feel too guilty about its cost, which I don't see as being a con for that particular model, it was just a con for your particular example of the model (someone else might pick up a perfectly functional Silenta for less than 50
€).

What you describe as a "silent control" is more than likely actually an impression control; it doesn't really make sense to have a variable noise feature on a typewriter, but it certainly makes sense to be able to adjust the impact of the type action to compensate for the use of multiple pages that have carbon sheets between them. Of course a side effect of changing the impression strength would be the sound the action makes, so although adjusting the lever does change the sound the machine makes that isn't its purpose.

I like that you identified individual components in your photos. The lever on the right end of the carriage is just called a paper release (no need for quick in there). A pet peeve of mine is when line space levers are called return levers; a lot of people do that, and I have seen it described as such in maybe one or two owner's manuals, but I believe its a bit of a misnomer. You can return a carriage in more than one way, and although the lever is a multitasking component, its primary purpose is to advance the platen to the next line, which is why its described as a line space lever in the majority of manuals. I know that some here will argue that, but I've always strived to name parts using the manufacturers' terminology and wish that it was something more often done in enthusiast circles.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-1-2017 06:03:35  #4

That's a great review, Javi!

I hear you about the margin setting. From time to time I resolve to return as soon as possible after the ding to avoid thinking about exactly how much more I can squeeze onto the line after the bell rings, but I may soon catch myself doing this anyway. The flip side of a short warning is that it gives you no choice!

You motivate me to make another pass at getting a similar looking Remington Silent working. Not everybody likes the touch on these machines though you obviously enjoy it.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

24-1-2017 12:57:59  #5

Fleetwing wrote:

Thanks for this review, Javi -- I did not know anything about this typewriter. Any chance you can post typing examples at the different touch settings?

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

24-1-2017 13:24:01  #6

Uwe wrote:

Thanks for the review! 

Continental made fantastic machines, and although I own a few, I've never seen a Silenta in my area yet; I don't know whether that indicates that few have survived, or relatively few were exported to Canada. I suspect the later.

If you enjoy the machine as much as you described, I wouldn't feel too guilty about its cost, which I don't see as being a con for that particular model, it was just a con for your particular example of the model (someone else might pick up a perfectly functional Silenta for less than 50
€).

What you describe as a "silent control" is more than likely actually an impression control; it doesn't really make sense to have a variable noise feature on a typewriter, but it certainly makes sense to be able to adjust the impact of the type action to compensate for the use of multiple pages that have carbon sheets between them. Of course a side effect of changing the impression strength would be the sound the action makes, so although adjusting the lever does change the sound the machine makes that isn't its purpose.

Interesting! I didn´t consider that, but sounds very reasonable.I thought that function was elsewhere:

That knob at the center of the image allows you to regulate the space between the platen and... the half pipe shaped metal piece which presses against the platen to hold the paper. Sorry, I don´t even know the name of that bit in Spanish!

Thing is that by turning it left or right you leave more space so that you can use carbons and get multiple copies. The centered position (as seen in the photo) leaves more space because the knob is flattened at that point. I thought that was the way to use carbons in this typewriter, but it makes perfect sense to use that along with the "silent control". I should try to do that.

Uwe wrote:

I like that you identified individual components in your photos. The lever on the right end of the carriage is just called a paper release (no need for quick in there). A pet peeve of mine is when line space levers are called return levers; a lot of people do that, and I have seen it described as such in maybe one or two owner's manuals, but I believe its a bit of a misnomer. You can return a carriage in more than one way, and although the lever is a multitasking component, its primary purpose is to advance the platen to the next line, which is why its described as a line space lever in the majority of manuals. I know that some here will argue that, but I've always strived to name parts using the manufacturers' terminology and wish that it was something more often done in enthusiast circles.

Again, that´s right. I´ve always called it "return lever" without thinking too much about wether it´s an adequate name or not, but as you explain, it definitely is a misnomer. For example, a pinch line spacer (in a Corona 3, for example) doesn´t return the carriage in any way. Even more, with quite a few typewriters I prefer to use the lever, advance to the next line and then return the carriage by gently pushing it. Sometimes I do it by no special reason, but some others my intention is not to put too much stress on the machine.

Proper naming is an important issue, I agree. As with everything, practice is the best teacher so I´ll probably be misnaming more things in the upcoming reviews

(Olivetti Linea 98)

24-1-2017 14:06:05  #7

Javi wrote:

That knob at the center of the image allows you to regulate the space between the platen and... the half pipe shaped metal piece which presses against the platen to hold the paper... by turning it left or right you leave more space so that you can use carbons and get multiple copies. 

Yes, this would be a separate adjustment to something like an impression control. For example, the Olympia SG1 has a somewhat similar adjustment on its machine: its three-position alignment scale that can be positioned close to the platen for one or two copies, further away from the platen for multiple copy sets (or card stock), and completely away from the platen to facilitate the carriage's removal.

Javi wrote:

Proper naming is an important issue, I agree.  

Even if it's for no other reason than we all know which part is being referenced when someone discusses a typewriter. This really becomes an issue in the repair sub-forum here where it's very common for arbitrary names to be given to various components. In such scenarios the onus should be on the person who is providing the repair advice to correctly name those parts if there will be any hope of the enthusiast community adopting a common glossary. There will always be exceptions to some names because of regional differences (some parts have a different name from one country to the next), but on the whole we should be able to find a common ground to work from.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-1-2017 23:53:49  #8

Uwe wrote:

Javi wrote:

That knob at the center of the image allows you to regulate the space between the platen and... the half pipe shaped metal piece which presses against the platen to hold the paper... by turning it left or right you leave more space so that you can use carbons and get multiple copies. 

Yes, this would be a separate adjustment to something like an impression control. For example, the Olympia SG1 has a somewhat similar adjustment on its machine: its three-position alignment scale that can be positioned close to the platen for one or two copies, further away from the platen for multiple copy sets (or card stock), and completely away from the platen to facilitate the carriage's removal.

Javi wrote:

Proper naming is an important issue, I agree.  

Even if it's for no other reason than we all know which part is being referenced when someone discusses a typewriter. This really becomes an issue in the repair sub-forum here where it's very common for arbitrary names to be given to various components. In such scenarios the onus should be on the person who is providing the repair advice to correctly name those parts if there will be any hope of the enthusiast community adopting a common glossary. There will always be exceptions to some names because of regional differences (some parts have a different name from one country to the next), but on the whole we should be able to find a common ground to work from.

If this is the case, then one or a few of us need to look into as many repair manuals as we can, glean from these the "proper" terminology, alphabetize what we find, and compile a glossary of terms to be neatly inserted with a main heading all its own.  Additionally, there are parts in some typewriters that aren't found in others, and this detail will need to be set beside the words--if this is not a part commonly found in all typewriters, it should be noted the typewriter or typewriters that use this part or group of parts.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

28-1-2017 00:38:00  #9

I added a rudimentary glossary to the FAQ a couple of years ago, but unfortunately I spent any time expanding on it. Most people don't read the FAQ anyway...

28-1-2017 17:11:37  #10

Now, it would be good to know the controls and outer parts of typewriters in general.  But there are internal parts that have certain names.  For instance, cup gear.  This describes the driven gear on a Smith-Corona electric power return.  Sometimes these get chewed up because they're plastic, and need replacing--which I've done quite a few.  The thing is that until I did my first one, when I went to a typewriter shop for the part, I didn't know what to call it.  They called the gear "cup gear."  And then I knew.  I may have to look up several repair manuals to see what to call what part.  But the trouble I am afraid I am going to encounter is that different books are going to call the same parts under different names.  I could be wrong, but it could be a problem.  Additionally, again, this is an international forum, so there are going to be parts that will be call one thing in the United States, another in Canada, another in Great Britain, and still another in Spain and Australia.  Or have the ones who wrote the repair manuals anticipated this problem?

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera