You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-1-2017 06:20:24  #1

Remington 3B Portable Explosion

OK, low grade detonation:  I saw one for sale on eBay Sunday and a second one in a different part of the US for sale Monday.  I don't recall seeing one before for a year, and a little research shows that this was a true short production run rarity.  I have three possible explanations for this improbable double sighting:

1) Improbable stuff happens
2) The Remington 3B hoard of a 1930's eccentric was recently broken up at auction
3) Chinese made reproductions

I'd like to believe number 3 and I hope they were made alongside the Epochs by bored workers! If they were skillfully made I'd consider it a social good.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

31-1-2017 14:22:07  #2

Re: Remington 3B Portable Explosion

4) Are they really that rare?

Rarity, with respect to specific typewriter models, is a term that is too often bandied about. What is really known about this specific Remington model, and what are the concrete facts about its production history that omit the idle speculation of self-appointed typewriter experts? 

When you look at the production serial numbers assigned to the 3B in the database - itself not a infallible source of information - we can guess that at least 5000 examples of the model were produced. Some bloggers claim the exact number is 5,075, but that could very well prove to be incorrect. Presumably they arrived at that total using the database, which shows the first serial number of a production period and the serial number 5,075 being repeated in two consecutive months (arguably because production had stopped). But how accurate is this? The numbers were apparently gleaned from a "Remington Information Binder", and relies on the accuracy of the information in that one specific publication.

My point isn't to squabble over what might be a difference of a few hundred or so machines, it is to illustrate that there are no absolutes when it comes to quoted production numbers. Assuming then that we are talking about at least 5,000 machines, the 3B hardly qualifies as being a rare commodity. I own a number of wristwatches of which only 50 examples were produced and I don't even consider them to be a rarity (I also have a one-off model - the only one of its kind - which to me is a true rarity).  

Ah, I can hear all the fists pounding on tables right now, and the shouts arguing that production numbers don't count, it's only how many machines still exist that matters. I agree. And with respect to surviving examples, who on this planet can definitively state how many 3B typewriters are still around? No one can.

Enthusiasts too often base their perception of a model's rarity on what they see on websites such as eBay and Craigslist. They believe it to be a barometer of some kind because machines produced in very large numbers can often be found there, but based on my experience I would disagree with assumptions made using those online sources. Using eBay as a guideline not only assumes that you never miss a single eBay auction for a particular model, but also that every 3B being sold is advertised as such. Too often I've found more than one example of the same machine locally, whether through an online ad, thrift store, antique shop, or a flea market, that I've never seen on eBay. It's worth remembering that the sales that are happening offline around the world easily eclipses what is being sold on eBay. 

If we move away from the machines that are found for sale and look at how many reported ownerships there are of a specific model, it's equally inconclusive. At the moment there are six 3Bs in the database, which to me is a lot considering how many models aren't represented at all in the database. And that's just the database; not everyone who buys and collects typewriters posts their machines there (a large percentage of the machines that I own are not included in my database collection either). In fact, many machines out there don't make it online and can't be conveniently found using a Google search, which is why I consider what I find online to be a small representation of what's really out there: For all we know there could be a couple of thousand 3Bs in the closets and basements of uninterested owners.

I've rambled on far too long, so in brief: (1) I don't consider the machine to be a true rarity. Is it less common than say an Underwood 5? Of course, but that's not enough to qualify it as being rare; (2) Having only seen a couple of a particular model on eBay over the span of a year is not an indicator of rarity.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

31-1-2017 17:42:21  #3

You have a very rigorous definition of "rare", I think.  It's pointless to argue unless we have some numerical criteria, but to me this typewriter meets all the colloquial senses of "rare", so I say it's rare.  

You agree there were perhaps 5000 made.  Say for the sake of argument there are 3000 extant. Say for the sake of argument there are 300,000,000 people in the US, in round numbers.  That would mean if you gave out the surviving typewriters only 1 in 100,000 people could get one.  A medical condition affecting one in one hundred thousand people would be considered a rare medical condition - even if you gathered every sufferer in the US together in one place, all three thousand of them.  Another example:  the giant panda and the cheetah make it to the Wikipedia page for "rare animal". (I am not citing this page as an authority, merely as an example of usage). The giant panda makes it to the "rare" list even though there may be as many as 3,000 alive and the cheetah, the most populous animal on the short list, possibly as many as 10,000.  "Rare" usually refers to frequency rather than total number: the Earth might be a "rare" life bearing planet in the galaxy even if there turn out to be half a million of them, if it there are also billions of dead planets. If one in five thousand planets supports life, life bearing planets are rare regardless of total number.

I have the feeling that whatever I described as "rare" you would say "Oh, that's not rare, here is something rarer". The last time I had not even used the word!  I titled my post about the Royal HH with carbon film side spools "The Oddest Beast"? (note question mark rather than assertion)  and you responded that it was not a "rarity, just a model that isn't as commonly found because not as many of them were produced to begin with".

Hmm... sounds like rare to me. Whether it is not commonly found because they did not produce many to start with, or because they recalled them and crushed them like Chrysler's turbine car doesn't matter. (Now that car is rare: only nine extant and maybe three of them run).

Wait.  I didn't use the word "rare" this time either!  I just commented that in a year of browsing every eBay listing for typewriter I saw the first one day and the second the next, which is an odd coincidence. Your "that's not really rare" weapon is on a hair trigger and may be discharge unexpectedly, I think. 

Here's my overlooked possibility:

4) The first was sold and that motivated somebody who was sitting on a second but not sure how much to ask to list it.

I think that's what happened: the first sold quickly and the second was listed at about 25% more next day.

31-1-2017 21:08:27  #4

Rarity is subjective, and relative to both the observer and the object. A non-typewriter person may consider manual typewriters in general to be rare, as they may not have seen one in years, because they are not looking for them, and it is no longer a ubiquitous thing in their world. A hardcore typewriter collector may reserve such designations for machines that may only exist in handfuls, as they are worn by the word "rare" being thrown about as a way to gin up sales on sites like eBay, and they have greater exposure to typewriters, and may have the know-how and network to obtain what may be less obtainable to others. Some items may be rare in certain contexts and not in others. A 3B would be rare compared to a Quiet De Luxe, but not compared to a Royal Grand.

As for my sightings of 3Bs for sale, I have not seen one in person, but have seen a few from time to time on both eBay and Etsy. I believe there is one on Craigslist in Northern Ohio right now, at least it was there last week.

31-1-2017 21:38:19  #5

Though I wouldn't recommend buying it, for anyone that is curious:

31-1-2017 21:52:22  #6

SoucekFan wrote:

Though I wouldn't recommend buying it... 

Is that a blanket non-recommendation for the model, for this particular example, or just at this particular price?

31-1-2017 21:56:58  #7

SoucekFan wrote:

Rarity is subjective, and relative to both the observer and the object...

Your post effectively explained the point I was trying to make, and did a much better job of it. My comments were relative to typewriter collecting, and in that context I don't consider the 3B to be a rarity.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

31-1-2017 21:57:29  #8

I recently got one in Japan. The seller sent it from Hokkaido. I have no idea how it got there, and who brought it. I don't imagine US Occupation personnel were stationed in Sapporo? In any event, they are odd machines, and I will need to get my platen recovered. Unless that will reduce its value and authenticity

31-1-2017 21:59:58  #9

Repartee wrote:

SoucekFan wrote:

Though I wouldn't recommend buying it... 

Is that a blanket non-recommendation for the model, for this particular example, or just at this particular price?

Sorry, I can see how that can be read. I meant that example, in that condition, for that price.

Board footera