You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-2-2017 02:44:00  #1

Have you ever given a name for your typewriter?

Might be silly but I was wondering if you guys have ever given a name for something like your favorite typewriter.

02-2-2017 05:52:36  #2

Re: Have you ever given a name for your typewriter?

It's fairly common. Richard Polt has Purple Prose Writer.  I've thought of names but rarely settle on one or remember what I settled on. My favorite IBM B electric for example might be B-hemoth, The Big Green B, or, obviously, Big Bertha (Big B for short). Who can choose? I am thinking of Christine Seventeen for a favorite Remington - it might be possessed - but Elvira is a runner-up. It is a dusky shade of inky night.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

02-2-2017 06:04:40  #3

I used to call my Groma Modell T Vivien Leigh...

02-2-2017 06:09:02  #4

OK, I will bite that teaser Kat.  Why did you call your Groma Vivien Leigh?  

02-2-2017 07:09:58  #5

My Underwood SX is Battleship Bertha

02-2-2017 08:15:22  #6

Not to my faves, but certainly have named one or two which refused to be mended.  Names withheld for the sake of those with delicate sensibilities.

Sincerely,
beak.

02-2-2017 09:22:55  #7

Hi Repartee, I didn't even intend it as a teaser! It was just the most insanely delicately beautiful thing in the world, but the escapement was a bit loose... I did sell it and I did get good money for it but omg it was lovely.

02-2-2017 09:23:33  #8

Just call me Larry.

02-2-2017 14:22:47  #9

beak wrote:

Not to my faves, but certainly have named one or two which refused to be mended.  Names withheld for the sake of those with delicate sensibilities.

I've probably named too many machines. A very short list includes:
Hunter = Used for an IBM Selectric because of the writer who shot one.
Thor = For a '37 Hermes Baby, a tribute to ultra-portable used on Kon Tiki (technically it was a Featherweight though). 
Ruby = Name used by its previous owner and kept by me for a red '29 Royal Model P fitted with the Vogue typeface. 
Indie = For a '52 Royal KMG that I bought from a retired university professor while on a trip to Indianapolis.
The Strain = Given to an Underwood Touch-Master Five after the television series it appeared in.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-2-2017 18:09:31  #10

OK, Vivien Leigh : " just the most insanely delicately beautiful thing in the world, but the escapement was a bit loose... ".  Do you mean to say she had a statistically improbably loveliness, but the mainspring was a bit wonky?  

That's a wonderful metaphor, but did you really expect the reader to make that leap from a typewriter named Vivien Leigh?  I thought it had survived a fire. 

Board footera