You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-2-2017 20:03:59  #1

Which one: Olympia SF or Hermes Rocket?

Compare and Contrast:

Hermes Rocket
and
Olympia SF.

I only want one ultra portable, and I'd love your opinions.

Thanks!

04-2-2017 22:32:03  #2

Re: Which one: Olympia SF or Hermes Rocket?

There was only one generation of the SF (two, arguably, if you count the DeLuxe) versus at least four generations of the Baby (Rocket), so which of these are you interested in for comparison?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-2-2017 11:49:11  #3

Lets say a Rocket c56-57 and SF c 59

05-2-2017 12:24:04  #4

Okay, that's makes a logical comparison, a second generation Rocket (Baby) versus the first generation SF.

Do you prefer the name Rocket over Baby? I ask because they're the same machine, and it might be easier to find a Baby-labeled machine versus a Rocket. And given the model years you mentioned for the Rocket, I assume that you prefer the smooth-painted variants over those with crinkle paint - and you're after the so-called "seafoam green" colourway?

Given the two models, it would be hard to recommend one over the other without first knowing what criteria the machine would have to satisfy for you. Are you more interested in just having an interesting display piece for your collection that would only see occasional use, or do you want an ultra-portable for travel and/or regular use? Is performance more of a concern than the machine's aesthetics? Or is it the other way around?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-2-2017 13:15:10  #5

These are two of the most respected brands out there, and whichever you choose you will have a decent enough machine.  I have the Olympia, which I cannot fault for the size and weight, and feel I can rely on for travel, but have only tried the Hermes once, which I found nondescript and 'average'.  Too small an experience to be objective - but I can say that the Olympia is very unlikely to disappoint.

Sincerely,
beak.

05-2-2017 14:10:43  #6

Uwe, great questions.

It will see use, but light use. I prefer the aesthetics of the Olympia, but I need whatever I buy to be a good typer--understanding that it can also depend on the exact machine.

Not sure which is a more solid performance machine.

05-2-2017 16:10:31  #7

If you already prefer the aesthetics of the SF, then the Olympia is the right choice. I own several examples of both models, and although I actually prefer the aesthetics of the Hermes, the Olympia is a more robust design and its action feels more like that of a full-size portable. As Beak stated, it's not like you'll be disappointed by either machine, but one model is more likely to check off more boxes than the other when you know exactly what you want.

I'd have to check my typewriter spreadsheets later on to verify it, but I think the SF is a little heavier. That shouldn't be an issue unless you plan to travel with it. In terms of travelling with the original set-up (I would advise against it), it's worth noting that the travel case (lid) for the Hermes is metal compared to the plastic lid for the Olympia (there were actually three case options available for the SF, two clamshell-type soft cases and the hard plastic integrated cover).

05-2-2017 17:40:36  #8

Ah. Weight. So, for lap typing the Rocket may have the advantage, yes?

05-2-2017 22:08:44  #9

Lap use:
Unless you are going to use a solid surface on your lap, such as a tray or a solid board, you may find problems with any machine which does not have its own in-built solid baseplate - putting a TW on a soft support such as a cushion may cause faults in the action which will be annoying.

Sincerely,
beak.

05-2-2017 23:19:52  #10

Hi Beak:

I have a board I bought years ago from Leavenger that I use sitting up in a chair or in bed. It's a quasi desk surface, and it might work.

Board footera