You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-2-2017 17:38:27  #1

Smith Corona Silent

What's different about a SC Silent, c48, from the Super Silents that (I assume?) came later? Is there a key or keys that were added to the Super? Anybody have a late 40s era Silent? I assume that all things being equal, they're good typers?

Thanks in advance.

05-2-2017 19:59:31  #2

Re: Smith Corona Silent

Hi PDX

​Comparing my 1949 Smith-Corona Silent to my 1955 Smith- Corona Silent Super, I'd have to say the main difference is the tabulator system. The Silent has 6 removable tab clips that can easily get lost and the Silent-Super has the infinite tabulator system with the tab set and clear rocker on the far right side of the keyboard. The Silent-Super also has a figure 1 key on the left end of the top row and a += key on the far right. Other than that, the action and other features appear to be identical to each other.

One of the reasons why I love these units is the geometry of the key action. The keys are on a pantograph system that keeps the key top perfectly level. Also, when depressed, the keys follow an arc down and back towards the typist copying the natural movement of ones fingertip. hope this gives you something with which to work. All the best,

Sky  

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera