You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-2-2017 19:33:01  #1

Removing white-out / correction fluid

Just got in an Olympia Monica and I'm in the cleaning process. 

Theres splatters of white-out on the keys and platten that are really stubborn to remove. 

Any tips? 

05-2-2017 20:17:04  #2

Re: Removing white-out / correction fluid

Try Goof-Off. I wouldn't recommend it on paint, but it will be fine for the keys and platen. (I would also avoid using it on clear plastic parts, like the cardholder.)

Oh, you're in Japan -- most likely you can't get Goof-Off there! The active ingredient in the product is xylene, whatever that is. Naphtha (lighter fluid) is great for many things, but I don't think it's good for Wite-Out.

05-2-2017 20:37:08  #3

Goof-Off can damage many plastics, and not just clear plastic.

05-2-2017 21:44:17  #4

Fleetwing wrote:

Try Goof-Off. I wouldn't recommend it on paint ... The active ingredient in the product is xylene, whatever that is

For one thing it's the principle ingredient in many paint thinners, so not using it on paint is good advice! It's also a common ingredient in rubber softeners. 

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

05-2-2017 22:01:27  #5

Getting white-out off clear plastic: the only complete success I've had is to use a slightly blunt knife, such as one of those vintage thin dinner knives, to remove the bulk - you really do have to work slowly and carefully not to leave deep scratches.  Then I use very fine steel wool to remove the residue - which will necessarily dull the plastic  -  so I them re-polish the surface with a small Dremel buffing wheel and a little white (or other fine) compound.  Not saying there is no other or better way, but don't know it, if there is.

Sincerely,
beak.

06-2-2017 07:20:44  #6

SoucekFan wrote:

Goof-Off can damage many plastics, and not just clear plastic.

True enough -- but it doesn't seem to bother the keys, in my experience.

Board footera